• Register Today It's free!

1998 Explorer XLT radio install

ChiSox123

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT
I am in the process of installing a sony radio into a 98 Explorer XLT. I believe all my wiring is correct, when I turn the car on the radio lights up, and can read CDs, etc. The only problem is there is no sound, and it is likely because I do not know where to plug in the harness that has all the speaker wire connections. I am using a Metra wiring harness. There is a plug that plugs into the OEM radio that seems like it will no longer be used, is this what I am in need of?

Any wiring diagrams or photos would be greatly appreciated, as I am at a loss for what I am supposed to do, and I have searched online for hours,

I apologize if this has been covered, but the search feature is somewhat lacking and I was unable to find any additional information there

Welcome to the forum!

I'm in the process of installing a Clarion HU and DSP/EQ into my X, so I'm in the same boat as you. I learned a great deal from talking to some Ford techs and searching here in the forums. If you don't plan to use any external amps and have the Premium sound system, you'll need an amplifier bypass harness. This is a harness that will use the plug from your stock amplifier (located behind the rear passenger quarter panel) to connect your speakers to your Sony radio. You can get one from Crutchfield (I think it costs around $40). You could cut the wires from the amp and wire them directly into your Sony, but personally I'd save the time and just get the harness. It'd be a lot easier. If you're feeling adventurous and want to cut and splice the existing wiring to your Sony HU, check out Dead Link Removed. The color codes you need can be found there.

I may not need my amp bypass harness, so if you do need one, let me know.

Good luck,
Jamie

Edit: There is also the option to use the stock amplifier with your Sony radio using a different harness (also available from Crutchfield). Personally, I think the amplifier in your Sony HU will provide cleaner (less noisy) power than the stock Ford amp.

Back