2003 xlt radio wiring...searched already | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 xlt radio wiring...searched already

mordred612

Reaction score
City, State
tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT
What's up everyone? I have a problem.

Just bought a 2003 XLT and I took my Sony radio out of my totaled Jeep and want to put it in. Got the wiring harness and did all the color coding to radio wiring, but I am left with the orange and orange/white wires. How do I wire these in so that I can dim my radio with the dimmer in the cab?

This is what the wires on the harness I bought say:

Orange/white=dimmer
Orange=Illumination/dash light

There are no orange and orange/white wires to connect these to coming out of the Sony supplied wiring.

Thanks to everyone on the forum.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the illumination wire is red/black on the factory harness. most of the time dimmers on aftermarket radios dont even work. i wouldnt even bother hooking those wires up.

yea thats the illimination wire,

but yeah most of the time they dont work, my sony's did though, its nice, the screens so bright with the lights off lol

Thanks guys. I called schoche and they said not to hook them up, but after I got the panel off and old radio out I couldn't find a ground strap in the bay for the radio. Nothing back there to ground to.

Am I missing something or do I need to ground to the body? Thought about running a wire down behind everything with my ipod wiring and drilling a place to ground to the firewall.

Thanks again.

the factory harness has a ground in it already (black/green if i remember right).

if your sony doesn't have an orange/white wire on it, then you can't dim the sony display

Finished with the install. Here are a few things to consider:

It was easiest for me to get the trim panel off starting at the top with a butter knife and pulling it off a little at a time. There are six clips that hold it on...one on each corner and two in the middle. The install kit came with spacers which made the radio stick too far out so I didn't use them. Most difficult thing to deal with was the plastic rear mount that came with the schoche kit which slides on a bracket already in the vehicle. Without it the kit would shake. Had to take it in and out a few times to make sure it was level so I found it better to go ahead and put the radio in the mount before installing it. That way I could just put it in there and adjust it until it was level. Used a 7mm socket for the two mounting screws.

The ground was already included in the wiring kit, but I was hoping to have a strap or ground to the firewall. I had too many things to do today so I went ahead and just used the ground on the kit. Worked with no problems.

Got the mount from Best Buy for $20 and the wiring kit from Walmart for $10 which was priced at $20 at Best Buy.

Back