• Register Today It's free!

1998 V8 Mountaineer speed signal

Ranger Rick

Reaction score
City, State
Rochester, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Mountaineer AWD
I am looking to tap into the vehicle speed signal on my '98 Mountaineer so that I can add a calibrated odometer. On the '02 Ranger I used to use, I tapped into the VSS wire where it entered the PCM harness plug. However, I am not going to assume that the pin out on that is the same as it is on the Mountaineer. Also, I would rather not attack the PCM plug anyway, so if I can pull the signal off of the dash cluster it would be better. Can someone tell me which wire on the gauge pod harness plug is for the speed signal? I have to pull it out anyway to replace a few bulbs... Thanks.

I do alot of dead reconning off roading in remote locations. So an extreamly acurate odometer is critical. While at a Ford dealership, they used what appeared to be a generic trans code reader and produced a screan that provided a series of tire gear combinations to choose. That wasn't accurate enough for me, so I went to another Ford dealer. This one doesn't mind working on modified vehicles. They spent considerable time calibrating it. Now its dead on.

When I asked how, they gave me what looked like a TSB for speedometer calibration. This had 2 methods to correct the "problem". Can't find that right now but if you have access to a dealership, thats the way I would go. Sorry no direct answer to your question. I do alot of auto work but have even less time than money so my Explorer often ends up in someone elses shop.

I have the wiring book for the 99 model year.
Is it the same? One would think so.

On the Generic Electronic Module (GEM) plug:
(Plug# C283, which has 18 pins)
If you are looking for the +VSS circuit, it is pin #9 (GY/BK)
The -VSS circuit is pin #18, with no color specified in the book for this particular pin.

Pin#1: not used
pin#2: (OG/WH) : Current Sense Low
pin#3: (TN/LB) : Down Input
pin#4: ------- : Not Used
Pin#5: ------- : Not Used
Pin#6: (GY/YE) : Ignition (Hot In Run)
Pin#7: (YE/RD) : One Touch Down Relay Output
Pin#8: (VT/OG) : Battery Saver Relay Output
Pin#9: (GY/BK) : VSS (+)
Pin#10: (GY) : Current Sense High
Pin#11: (WH/YE) : Power (Hot At All Times)
Pin#12: (LG/OG) : Interior Lamp Relay Output
Pin#13: (YE/WH) : Throttle Position Input
Pin#14: (RD/BK) : Ignition (Hot In Start)
Pin#15: (BK/PK) : Ignition (Hot In Acc or Run)
Pin#16: (OG/YE) : Defrost Relay Output
Pin#17: (LB/RD) : Accessory Delay Relay Output
Pin#18: -------- : VSS(-)

Sorry for the "information overload" but I could not find the specific speedometer feed for the instrument cluster.
I looked, believe me, and what I found was confusing, at least for a noob like me.
According to the page for the VSS circuit, it feeds the speedometer via plug# C287, which is the black plug on the cluster. That wire is coded as GY/BK. When I cross reference this by looking at the pin designation on the C287 plug, the GY/BK wire fed into it is defined as the 4WABS signal Input. (designated as Pin#1)
Hope this helps more than confuses.

OK, thanks for the information. That's at least a start, should point me in the right direction.

Back