1997 5.0 V8 Mountaineer Won't Start? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 5.0 V8 Mountaineer Won't Start?

s_cappadona

Reaction score
City, State
NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mercury Mountaineer
I drove the truck aprox 2 miles went into the store came out (5 Min) truck motor will turn, full power, it was acting like it ran out of gas (had 1/2 tank) & sputtering like a vacuum problem, left it over night, came back to test fuel pressure & truck started without doing a thing to it.

Drove it home (3 milies) put it in the driveway turned it off, stared it 3 more times in a row. Turned key I could here fuel pump humming so i changed fuel filter next day, went to start truck engine turned, full power won't start NO Humming from fuel pump, next day still won't start any ideas?

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=180814&highlight=power+layout
It could be a faulty fuel pump relay-or PCM relay
Notice if the "check engine" light always illuminates when you switch on the key. If it does the pcm relay isw fine-
If the pcm has no power, the fuel pump will not prime.

If the check engine light is on, and no fuel pump priming is heard-then the problem is with the fuel pump wiring (relay and fuse) or pump itself-
There is also a fuel pump inertia cut off switch at the passenger foot area-but they are rarely intermittent.

When checking for voltage at the pump-
you will only see 11.5v for about 2 seconds-or as long as the fuel pump "should" be priming. So it is a good idea to have a helper to turn the key for you while you probe the connectors-

Back