1999 Explorer Auto Tranny 3rd-4th Slip and No Reverse | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1999 Explorer Auto Tranny 3rd-4th Slip and No Reverse

MJSunderlin

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer
1999 Explorer; 4.0L OHV; 5 spd Auto.

4 months ago the transmission started slipping on initial cold starts, would have intermittent slips (or transmission just not engaging) for the first mile or so then would drive fine no problem. After a month of this I changed out the filter and fluid and it ran fine til a month ago when it starting slipping between the 3rd and 4th gear upshift.

A couple of weeks later reverse starting slipping (not engaging) after it has been driven a while - I can get reverse to function on a cold start though.

The cost of having a rebuilt transmission installed is more than the vehicle is worth itself. I'm willing to try repairing myself just want to be sure of which is the right direction to go. I'm leaning towards a valve body gasket replacement. Am I on the right track or am I off-base and is there something else I should try instead? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

No, I would say that is not likely your problem. Check your fluid, if it is burnt, you have likely worn out some of the clutches. In that case, your transmission requires being rebuilt all the way which is something you should only attempt when you are guided by someone who has experience in rebuilding transmissions, and you have the proper tools to rebuild a transmission.

I think the vb gasket might be worth a shot.

Back