1999 explorer D44 Swap...Big Red | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1999 explorer D44 Swap...Big Red

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if you can weld, and good fab skills around 1500+, I didn't have a welder at the time so it cost me about 2100.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

David89, so you used superlift 4'' rear leafs and an SOA.

Yes that is correct, used the 4 inch springs, SOA, 2in blocks, and 2 in lifting shackles

Thanks for the info. I need to go the same route for the South Florida MUD. If you have ant more pic's of the rear set up please post them.

dude how the hell did you get that steering box in there? i have a 99 too and that box was the first one i tried, but i ended up going with a FJ 60 box cause i couldnt fit the first gen box anywhere.
and it looks like its been a while since you got this thing going, hows she doing?

dude how the hell did you get that steering box in there? i have a 99 too and that box was the first one i tried, but i ended up going with a FJ 60 box cause i couldnt fit the first gen box anywhere.
and it looks like its been a while since you got this thing going, hows she doing?

The cross member to the IFS was there, so once I got rid of the cross member and cleaned the frame up it fit in perfect. I think I might Have taken a notch( if any) off the engine mount. The truck is doing well. I put 5.13s in, Front Spool with a posi in the rear, and crossover steering. She's kinda unstable on the street thou. I still have caster shims that I'm going to install along with getting a alignment, so I will see if that will make a huge difference(recommend anything?). I have so many more pictures that I need to post, hopefully sometime next week I will put them up.

nice, my radiator hose coming off the bottom was in the way of the box on mine, i wonder if maybe you have a different engine or radiator? mine is the 4.0. and im still running stock steering, with unbalanced 37s and without an alignment, so needless to say its pretty shaky. when i aired my tires down to 8 lbs psi it handled a lot better, so if youre running fully blown up tires that could be why its unstable. but thats just a quick fix till you can get your casters put in and get it aligned, hopefully that will take care of it!

and if you have any pictures of your steering box mounted, id like to see what you did

Back