1999 Explorer - Driver side windshield washer fluid line not working | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1999 Explorer - Driver side windshield washer fluid line not working

EricJRW

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Worth, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer XLT
Passenger side is working. So not the pump.

But I cannot figure out how to access the hose leading to driver side nozzle.

Is it done from outside, or under the hood?

I can't tell.

Thank you, Eric

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The washer nozzle clips/snaps into the black plastic trim panel under the windshield. I've replaced one washer nozzle. The problem is that your chance if getting the trim panel off w/out breaking is tricky, because the plastic gets brittle with age. You have to remove the driver's side wiper arm off (which is easy enough) and then check for any Phillips screws that may secure the driver's side of the panel (I can't recall if there are any) then the panel has tabs that snap down into the body. I suggest you use a thin putty knife to stick under the trim panel and slide it along to locate the tabs.

My driver's side windshield washer was missing it's guts, so I just bought a new one from Ford for about $10.

Before you tear into it you might try sticking a needle down in the nozzle. Sometimes gunk grows in the tank and clogs the nozzle up. IF you see gunk in the tank it might be time to remove and clean it out.

Certain regions seem to have this problem more than others. Normally I wouldn't expect a drier climate like TX to have this sort of issue but with the recent flooding, there's bound to be more fungus floating around.

I don't know if it would be as simple as sticking a needle in the jet to clear it. Maybe. I think compressed air might be better blowing into the nozzle with the hose disconnected to try to clear a clog. The nozzle isn't just a squirter, it acts like it may have a moving part inside its head.

I have had to remove a W/W tank and flush out the goop that was growing in the bottom. Nasty stuff, with about the consistency of cold chicken fat.

This is what you get from Ford if you have to replace the nozzle:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Range...ash=item1c845dc23d:g:HYwAAOSwjqVZC5TI&vxp=mtr

Thank you for those tips. It's cooler in Texas now, so the idea of prying on the plastic does not appeal to me, since the plastic may be more brittle. Hard to believe a new piece is only $10, so that's encouraging. . I will try jetting/pinning it from the outside first. Maybe a long piece of thin stiff wire.

Thank you all!

Eric

Well, cooler in TX is still warmer than a lot of places. I had a couple of my cowl cover, vent cross-member pieces crack off last winter when I was scraping ice off the windshield but it's a minor flaw so I haven't gotten around to fixing it. The local junkyard sells them for $15, I'll pick one up the next time I'm there.

Well, cooler in TX is still warmer than a lot of places. I had a couple of my cowl cover, vent cross-member pieces crack off last winter when I was scraping ice off the windshield but it's a minor flaw so I haven't gotten around to fixing it. The local junkyard sells them for $15, I'll pick one up the next time I'm there.
Very true! Might be at the junkyard too. This project comes after fixing the door lock though.
Thank you for that info.
Eric

Back