1999 Explorer Modifications Possibly Needed | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1999 Explorer Modifications Possibly Needed

Most people aren't going to be able to buy a car and then sell it for a profit... What about the cost to repair things that made the car worth more than when you bought it? How about the cost of registration and the new title and plates?

Also, one thing to always consider when selling a vehicle in favor of another. You know what is wrong and what is right with the one you have. When you buy another used car to replace it, you don't. Sometimes you will find problems that develop soon after you buy it, but weren't apparent when you inspected it. Also, you can't always be sure about the maintenance history, especially when you are buying a car old enough to be in the $2000 range...

I see so many people wasting a lot of money by replacing cars that have problems with another that has as many or more problems... Then they fix the new one they got because they will lose money selling it and won't be able to get something as good, plus there is the feel that you have to fix this thing you just spent a bunch of money on.

I mean, I know in this case it is selling a free vehicle in favor of a vehicle that he would buy with the money from the previous sale, but still... One should always consider the possibilities and not be rash.

Also, I tried that calculator with the same conditions you used 2TimingTom, and I could only get it to say not to upgrade when I said my original vehicle got more than 30mpg compared to the 75mpg vehicle... which makes sense, since the difference in yearly fuel costs would be only 500 bucks... The calculator makes certain assumptions of course, and one of the biggest assumption would be that if it takes several years to pay off the difference in price, you will probably end up replacing it before it pays for itself. Of course, there is something to be said for if you can make some or all of that purchase price back in the sale of your old vehicle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I say go the complete opposite route, jack it up, big tires, low gears, heavy custom bumpers, etc... Yeah your fuel mileage will suck, but you'll like driving it ALOT more:)

Air filter and exhaust will help alot, also change all fluids to full synthetic, keep in mind that when changeing the motor oil to full synthietic you need to run a synthetic blend first then the next chang put full synthetic( with a good filter). also "jet" makes a good module for around $100, when looking for your parts try EBAY and ROCKAUTO. also run mid grade gas, do a sea foam treatment and every other fill up throw in some lucas fuel treatment $5 a bottle but well worth it. new plugs and wires(use quality parts, may pay a little more but is worth the extra cash) there are many dif options and you are at the right place..

the best thing to do is ask for gas $$ or just say no. a good friend will help or make other arrangements.

Take off the spare tire, jack, etc (cut down on weight), remove the roof rack (better aerodynamics and less weight), free flowing exhaust, upgrade the intake, get a MPG oriented tune from Henson Performance (have him tweak it with mpg in mind versus performance)... Def synthetics in the diffs, t-case, tranny, and engine.... Possibly lower it some (aerodynamic improvement a little), etc.

I have done four things to my '99 4wd and I get 20-22 on the freeway, 16-18 in town, and 14 towing my 3000lb boat around the Rocky Mountains.

1. Got Michelin tires and keep them inflated to around 38psi.
2. Amsoil synthetic oil and auto trans fluids (haven't done the diffs yet due to leaks)
3. $40 CAI from eBay.
4. Use only Sinclair gas.

All 4 of those have shown improvements in various areas. The tires and Amsoil improved everything a bit. The Sinclair gas did the most for economy improvements compared to Shell, Conoco and Loaf and Jug.. The CAI gave a lot more towing power so better towing economy.

The $40 CAI from eBay went in like a dream and the engine ran smoother from the get-go. All the parts seem to be very good quality.

I own a 98 4.0 OHV Sport. When I first bought it, it wasnt tuned up right, and got around 16.2 mpg. After I did a tune up, synthetic oils, and so on and on and on, the last thing I did that really helped bump me up to 19.8mpg, was a K+N Air filter. More air in, more power with less fuel! It helped!

For being a full framed SUV with 4wd, and heavier then the import competitors, it does nicely. 200k+ can be easily expected. Worth it to me if you dont have a car payment plus gas!

Im a teenager and have to pay for my gas too, lift it and put 31's on it, it looks alot better you get more clearance and the chicks love it, you only lose a little mpg, tell your friends to give you money for gas and if they don't, just make them drive and if they will give you money tell then you get around 11-12 mpg and save the extra money for more mods! or normal wear and tear

I think I just read my own post... haha. Except I pay for EVERYTHING

Back