Laguna1441

Reaction score
City, State
Los Gatos, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer XLT
Callsign
Laguna
Does anyone know if there is a locker available for the rear differential code D4 Limited slip 8.8 / 3.73 - 31 spline? Not well versed in what can and can’t be upgraded in the 8.8 but am curious to know if anyone has made this conversion or if it is even practical. Thank You in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Should be several brands available, with most needing you to swap out the LS to an open carrier.
Plenty people here have put in a locker.

Should be several brands available, with most needing you to swap out the LS to an open carrier.
Plenty people here have put in a locker.
Thank You for Your response, I work at a Ford Commercial truck Dealer here in California and after talking to several of the techs they have recommended that based on my intended use of the explorer, sticking with the current set up will work fine.

to my knowledge this is the one ive heard of... i think gerald had one in herc... if herc was still around 😢

anyways heres rhe link... anyone with more knowledge please correct me if im wrong as i still have my worn LS clutches in mine

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005AUFSJI/?tag=serious-20
Thanks for the response, looks like I'll stick with my current stock set up as well based on the advice form our tech's here at the Ford commercial truck dealership I work at who say based on my intended use, sticking with the stock set up is probably best. Thank You again

Just for conversation’s sake, what IS your intended use?

Just for conversation’s sake, what IS your intended use?
Mainly a light to moderate BLM / Forest Service road overland type vehicle. owned it since new, it’s a California vehicle so it’s free of rust and it’s been well maintained as a kid hauler and grocery getter, until now. I have an F350 four door 4x that I tow with that’s too big to get into most places I like to go off grid to camp, so this 99 XLT is being re purposed for an alternative to that truck. I was bitten by the bug as I saw the Explorer sitting in the garage with a battery tender on it, I decidEd to find a good use for it because it’s been such a great truck and although there is not a lot of aftermarket support for the Gen 2, I’m into fabrication, etc. so in time I plan to add a front winch bumper and rear bumper with recovery points etc. I have been looking at a Ranger front winch bumper to adapt to it but need to get to the wrecking yard to see what the difference is between the front horns of the two trucks in order to possibly fab up mounts to convert to Ranger to Explorer. A work in progress if You will. Best Regards,

Should be perfect for that. It’s a good platform. When I did the rubicon trail, there were 2 2nd gens in the group.
Rockranger sells a great winch bumper for 2nd gens, it’s in kit form and you weld it together. There’s a thread in this section I think.

Should be perfect for that. It’s a good platform. When I did the rubicon trail, there were 2 2nd gens in the group.
Rockranger sells a great winch bumper for 2nd gens, it’s in kit form and you weld it together. There’s a thread in this section I think.
Thanks for that, I will check out the site, Have been up the Rubicon as well, once in my old 1975 F-250 Hi Boy 390/4 speed 4 X ( Shoulda never sold it) didn‘t get too far for obvious reasons but we have a small place nearby in Tahoma so we get up the trail on our dirt bikes to watch the trucks, jeeps etc. come through. Thank You again for the heads up on the winch bumper.

Can’t thank You enough, I’ve completed the torsion twist and rear shackles, upgraded the radiator to a two row and replaced the plastic fan which was cracking at each fan blade where it comes off the fan hub, replacing the fan clutch while I was in there. Just received black Pro Comp black faux bead lock 15 X 8 on 4.5, waiting on back ordered Dick Cepek all terrain 31 X 10.50 X15‘s. Installed a roof rack removed second row Seats so I can build out the interior for adventure camping etc. The winch bumper will really look great and also accumulating all the recovery stuff needed based on experience. Fully serviced all drivetrain components with all new front suspension and steering components and a fresh alignment. Not a serious crawler by any means but a good solid platform. I’ll get some pics posted once the tires arrive.

Back