1999 Explorer Rolls a bit after placed in park? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1999 Explorer Rolls a bit after placed in park?

PearlWhiteLTD

Reaction score
City, State
DENVER CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Limited
I have a 1999 Limited 4x4 4.0L sohc.

Everytime this month I put my truck into park, it seems to have some roll left in it. (maybe an inch or two) before it stops. It never used to do this. So basically if im on a slight incline, I park, put it in PARK, adn take my foot off the brake it rolls a bit. I have been using my parking brake now to avoid this. When I get back in my car, and release the parking brake, it rolls again, like 2 inches or so.
Any ideas on what could be wrong? I have 75k miles on it right now, and it is VERY babied as far as im concerned.
Thanks for your help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My explorer does the same thing, i thought it was normal thing for an automatic to do.

Thats normal -- and its a good idea to always put on the "parking" brake ;)

It just started to do it recently. Never rolled even a smidge before after the shifter was engaged into park. Any other opinions?

i had the same problem since first day. i solve the problem by changing my immergency brake pads and i push it all the way every time i park.

interested to hear if this is what it suppost to do from factory or it just happen after some parts start to worn.

yeah both of my explorers have done this, just set the parking break before you take your foot off the break and put your foot back on the break before you take the parking break off if it really bothers you

I would say that it is somewhat normal.... but possibly a sign of something in your drive train. Basically, when you put it out of gear to engage the parking prawl in the transmission, the transmission "relaxes" as your move thru the gears towards "p". Of course you have your brakes on (foot) and the vehicle is stopped. As part of the "relax", the entire drive train from the tranny back to the wheels "relaxes". Once in "P", your tranny is now basically fixed (or close to it assuming your parking prawl isn't bent or flexing ... unlikely). You take your foot off the brake. Guess what, the rest of your drive train is now "loose" and if you are on a hill, has to roll in some direction to take up the slack. What does that mean? While it most likely means that you have wear (excessive... maybe) at one of the u joints along the route and / or in your differential. The combination of all this determines how much "roll" you will get. It could be alright or an indication of a possible underlying problem.

this is normal for automatics.

budwich is right, but it is most likely not the kind of wear that will need new parts.
just my $.02

yeah both of my explorers have done this, just set the parking break before you take your foot off the break and put your foot back on the break before you take the parking break off if it really bothers you

This is exactly what I do... Especially living in a hilly town.

Indeed, 100% normal on every automatic transmission I've ever met.

Did your garage (or parking space) settle recently?

IT does seem normal, but the only issue is that it is a recent occurence. I am not to worried about i, but I pay very close attention to my car, like I am sure most of us do on this site. everywhere I park it does the same thing, something it didnt do a month ago. THanks for the help

Back