1999 explorer sport ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1999 explorer sport ?

1fstsnake

Reaction score
hey all!

well while my cobra is being re-built, i need another side car since my current jeep has died :(

well i found a 1999 explorer sport for sale on craigslist.

it has around 150k miles and is pretty clean.

now my question is this..

i took it for a test ride today, and the front end feels a little ruff, almost like 4wd is on. now i believe this truck is all time 4WD? the knob on the dash says, AUTO and high low. it was on Auto.

now i noticed the high/low light on the bottom right of the gauges would flash repeadtly then stop, then start a few min later.

he said the last break job was about 2 years ago.

now when i was driving it almost feels and sounds like brake are rubbing feel likes something is restricting the truck and holding it back. there was no clanking clunking or banging, truck drove straight and turned with no additional sounds or feeling.

my question is could it be just brakes and rotors need to be done and would most likely resolve this issue, or could it be an issue with the transfer case?

i did own a 93 bronco and when i put that into 4WD it sortve felt like this and the 4WD ion the bronco was broken.

its hard to explain but ill do my best, it feels like definatly feed back into the steering wheel and gas pedal, vibration and just a little ruff...

any and all opinons welcomed.

trying to decide if i should buy the truck if its noly pads and possibly rotors then no biggie, bnut if its a transfer case issue i dont want to go down this road of dumping tons of money into a truck with 150k+ miles.

maybe transfer motor? i dont know any help is VERY? appreciated.

thanks in advance for any and all responses!

Parking brake could be dragging or frozen caliper. Its really hard to tell you just based off what you found. I would check out the brakes if i were. If its not making any odd grinding noises you should be fine. If the truck seems like its being held back then most likely its brake related.

Back