• Register Today It's free!

1st gen 4.0L power upgrades

tuckman

Reaction score
City, State
Elk Point, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Explorer XLT
I have a 4.0L long block sitting in my garage ready for a rebuild and want to get some more power out of it, what options are out there. I know about simple stuff like cold air intake and better exhaust system flow. But what about cams, intake manifold, heads, ect... I want to build a motor with a strong bottom end, good for towing and small trail use (i live in a river valley so I have some nice hills to climb). What have you or friends used/tried and what kind of results have you got.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

95tm heads and a 422 cam with first gen piston

Where is a good place to get the heads and who makes that cam?
Do I need to do anything with the computer after the mods are done?

With 95tm your have to use 90+ gas.but engine quest makes the true 95tm heads and comp cams makes two cams a 422 and 410.but the 422 needs comp cams 988 dual springs and needs head work to seat right.use Si one peice ss valves and get some lower intake porting.you don't have to get a tune but would help a lot.check my thread "double vison" a lot off pic and other links and info for getting power

Thank you for the info.
Sorry I'm new to the ford 4.0L...where does a guy go to get a tune? for a 92 Ex.

First gens have to be done by a local tune shop,but tuning is not a must for those add ons

What gears do you have?

O good god,I wouldn't go crazy with the motor then just a stock build with a 410 cam,save your money for gears and a locker,that will make a huge difference in off roading,towing and pulling those "hills".unless you plan on doing both.

Yeah I was kinda disappointed when I looked up the axle codes but I got the thing for $500. Where is a good place to look for gears and a locker?

I would check some junk yards for a 95+ and swap out the rear ends.depending on tire size you might get away with the gears in the new axle plus you would get disc brakes and then just buy new front gears.there is a vendor on here that gives good prices,ill have to look.what size tires are you planning on running?

If I swap the rear end do I have re-gear the front diff also?
I am not sure on tires yet, I do like the 4 wheel disc brakes.

lol i just read the post completely
i will look up the vendor

Yea gear would give you the best bang for the buck.you could spend a ton of money in the engine and not get the results of gears plus you won't be doing much 4x4 with an open dif.here is a thread about gears,he is in there shoot him a pm,but your need to decide on tires first.ill have a set of 3.73lsd for sale soon.http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=265576

I am kinda interested in your 3.73's. I don't want to go too big on my tires, I am leaning towards 31's (but am not totally sure yet). I still want it to pull my boat to some local lakes (100mile round trip) and not suck the gas back.

Its going to be a month or two till I get my fronts out,I'm just doing the rears for now.I wouldn't go no bigger than 410 if your worried about gas.373 would be better for gas and they can be found pretty easy.best bet would be a junkyard,95+ rear with 373 and disc brakes and first gen d35 with 373 and just swap it,save a ton of money from not paying for gears and gear install

My 95 Aerostar I am gutting has 3.73lsd and a Dana 28, can I use any of the gears from that? An axle swap may be more my speed (I have never done gears before).

I don't know what rear that has,or you saying the rear is a d28. You would need them from a 32spline 8.8 and a d35 reverse rotation or hp

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The front is a d28 and from reading more in the FSM it has no parts I can use. The rear axle is a 3.73lsd but not too sure the rest of the specs. I will look tomorrow

Back