• Register Today It's free!

1st gen lower

95viper08

Reaction score
City, State
Lake Stevens
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer XLT Custom
Alright so ive finally gotten back to work on my 5.0 swap in my first gen. motor and tranny are in and im swapping in the 2wd front end

Where can i get lowering leafs for the rear? i can get lowering coils for the front since itll be a ranger front end plus im moving my spring perches but the main point is i need lowering leafs preferred for the rear - need a 3" lower

any help would be appreciated - ive searched the forums but any links to where i can buy are dead and my google search isnt helping any

Really trying to not use blocks if I don't have to and I don't wanna she'll out for air bags

You can use any lowering springs for 91-98 Explorers, though they aren't very common.

Usually it's a custom job, with the springs being de-arched by a suspension shop that has the tooling.

You can also get the 2-leaf packs off a 2-door Sport and use those, but you won't get a full 3 inch drop just from that. You can get more of a drop if you only use drivers-side springs, since they sag more over time from the weight of the driver and gas tank being on that side. The 2-leaf pack also rides better so it should be less bouncy. You can get almost the same effect as a 2-leaf pack by removing the smallest leaf on the 3-leaf packs of the 4-doors, but that's not really a good idea since packs are generally designed to work together, and removing the smallest spring in a pack removes critical support from the rest of the springs in the pack. Same goes for the overload leaf on the bottom - you can remove it and get more drop and a better ride, but you risk the springs cracking/breaking due to lack of crucial support the spring provides.

The "right" way would be to have the springs de-arched professionally.

Although blocks aren't great, they are ok for figuring out exactly how much drop you want in the rear, and using 1 or 2 inch lowering blocks to get the rest of the drop you need is fine.

One of our members in WA is also parting out their slammed first gen that had a 5.0 swap done. Could get springs and things from them:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=407870

Back