2.3L oil filter location | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2.3L oil filter location

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey guys, speaking of that cover that conceals the pan and filter...how are those clips removed? I haven't tried removing mine yet, but I don't want to get under there and find out I need a special tool. They look to have a rectangular head. Just looking for guidance on how to get those out.

Mounted vertically on the drivers side rear of engine (like a normal filter setup should be),
Not like the Ranger setup, you can access it easily from the under side once you pull the fiber belly pan out of the way.
Pete
My Speed 3, the Mustang EB and the Explorer are the same. The only difference is how much stuff you have to remove to get to it. The Mustang is the easiest.

The FoMoCo labeled 'factory' filters are Wix made filters.
The OEM Motorcraft filters, Purolator made filters.
Yup. I stick with Ford's filters. Both of those manufacturers are top notch. If I'm forced to go to NAPA or CarQuest, I ask for Wix or Purolator made products.

I've used K&N filters for over ten years. Their HP-3001 is the size equivalent of a Ford filter. It fits the 5.7L Hemi. K&N's HP-2009 is a Mazda truck filter that fits the 2.3L. Both have a bit more capacity, which is always a good thing.

I've used K&N filters for over ten years. Their HP-3001 is the size equivalent of a Ford filter. It fits the 5.7L Hemi. K&N's HP-2009 is a Mazda truck filter that fits the 2.3L. Both have a bit more capacity, which is always a good thing.

It is not capacity but by pass valve pressure that is important. You need to run the right filter for your vehicle not another filter that happens to fit and is larger because you think it has more capacity. The WIX filters are good and so are Motorcraft OEM filters. NAPA Gold is WIX and NAPA Platinum is WIX XP. I would run WIX if I changed my own oil but since Ford does it then the standard Motorcraft work great.

Back