2" ext. coils and i need drop brackets? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2" ext. coils and i need drop brackets?

Four0Sport

Jack from JackOffRoad
Reaction score
City, State
West Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 2dr
after doing extensive searching and reading on the site i finally bought and installed rough country 2 inch extended front coil springs. well i dropped the vehicle off at the alignment shop this morning bc the front wheels were way way off camber. I just got a call from the shop saying that they cannot align the vehicle until i get axle pivot drop brackets installed. I thought that drop brackets were only needed when the front is lifted 3+ inches? I trust this alignment shop bc they do great work and have a good reputation but im wondering if i HAVE to install drop brackets. The coils i purchased were listed as 1.5" leveling coils but i have to admit they raised the vehicle every bit of 2 inches if not a little more. hoping some of you lift gurus could help me out. thanks in advance.

here is a picture of the front end set up i have, when i pick the vehicle up later this afternoon i will get a picture of the camber.

100_0121.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...no guru here but i'll take a stab at it...your new springs need to squat under the weight after installation...the bad news, your springs may be stiff enough that they won't squat for a while which might keep you out of range for alignment..

...i would ask them first, what size bushing they are trying to use??? 3* is the max and some shops only carry 2 1/2* in stock and are to lazy to same day, order in the bigger adjustable bushing...good luck with this...:D

...the spring variables are one of the reason's i kept my old springs and installed f150 coil seats...;)

i read your write up on the spacer install and noticed that your truck came from the factory with a 2 inch lift.. did this mean it came with ext. axle pivot brackets and a different readius arm crossmember? if so maybe this is why you didnt have to worry when you got your camber kit installed. just an idea.. bc i noticed there is a set of axle pivot brackets and a radius arm crossmember in the FS threads from an STX ranger, werent these vehicles also factory lifted and im wondering if i could use these on my explorer to help with the front end.

...i was going to tell you about the stx brackets for sale...if you are happy with the height of your front end you will probably have to go with the pivot brackets...you also have to check and see if your drive shaft will rub on the cross member...;)

...this is one of the reason's the f150 coil seats are so popular..first, the spring variables and then, saves you from buying virtually all the other parts for a lift kit...i would still check on the bushing size and post some more pics so we can see...

well i called roughcountry, the company i purchased the coils from, and they can sell me axle pivot and radius arm brackets for $185, the stx factory parts in the FS forum are $150 plus shipping.. would i need the radius arm brackets or just the axle pivots? and would parts from an STX work on my explorer? im under the impression that they will but i want to be sure.

...just from your statement, i myself would do the rough country parts...:scratch:

yeah, after crawling under the vehicle and taking some pictures i know i will need radius arm drop brackets, here are a few pictures of what im dealing with..

100_0127.jpg

100_0126.jpg

100_0125.jpg

i was just thinking.. since i am going to have to buy drop brackets, that will allow me to lift the vehicle higher, correct? hmm.. i just called a local ford garage to get my discounted price on f-150 coil spacers. now what am i gonna do for the rear? i could get a rear axle out of a ranger so i will have SOA or disc brake upgrade and aal with my shackles, but then i might as well get better gears, that means i'll hafta buy a front pig of the same gear ratio.. it never ends.

...welcome to the dangerous world of E.F...:D

....once it starts, it never ends...;)...my ranger could use more parts but it's my daily driver...that is why i bought my Project X, my offroad vehicle...the only problem with that thinking is, everytime i get my ranger offroad i have so much fun in it, i want to mod it...then i will say no and a bulb go's off in my head, a project ranger is what i need...between the voices in my head and this site, i am doomed...:p:

..from your pics i believe you do need all those parts...i would also invest in the r.a. bushings..and if you are going to go higher, you will def need a drop pitman arm...;)

Back