2 inspections at shop completed with still no luck.. replaced parts listed below sum of which shop recommended | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2 inspections at shop completed with still no luck.. replaced parts listed below sum of which shop recommended

krista kay

Reaction score
City, State
creswell oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 ford explorer xlt
help plz..theres a click\pop noise when the wheel is turned towards the right and im backing out of my driveway. ive replaced several parts.
the following items i have replaced on both left and right side of the front. sway bar links and bushing, upper and lower ball joints, wheel hub, brakes outer tie rods. ive also replaced the cv axle on the front left side. i do plan on replacing the right side axle as well
15919152947354652680249140384847.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could be the rack and pinion unit, or control arm bushings. That and your CVs are about all that's left.

I had this in my ‘05. Turned out to be the wheel well inner liner was binding on the wheel. That’s not what it sounded like, but that’s what it was. Over time, physical evidence became visible.
If yours is actually an ‘02 model (what’s the month of production?) and it’s 4wd, it could be the brain for the 4wd system engaging 4wd.

I had this in my ‘05. Turned out to be the wheel well inner liner was binding on the wheel. That’s not what it sounded like, but that’s what it was. Over time, physical evidence became visible.
If yours is actually an ‘02 model (what’s the month of production?) and it’s 4wd, it could be the brain for the 4wd system engaging 4wd.
Date inside door reads 5-2003, it's a push button 4wd.

Could be the rack and pinion unit, or control arm bushings. That and your CVs are about all that's left.
Thanks for ur thoughts i will be checking the control arm bushings next.

help plz..theres a click\pop noise when the wheel is turned towards the right and im backing out of my driveway. ive replaced several parts.
the following items i have replaced on both left and right side of the front. sway bar links and bushing, upper and lower ball joints, wheel hub, brakes outer tie rods. ive also replaced the cv axle on the front left side. i do plan on replacing the right side axle as wellView attachment 317303
Up above is the 2nd inspection I had done. It lists all the things they checked

Someone else had mentioned the cross bar for the transmission bolts. They’d tightened them and their noise went away.

Also, noises travel through metal. I swore my ‘04 had something about to fall off up front. Turned out to be the rear swaybar to frame busing. It lost a lip and poped out. So the bar just banged between the bracket and the frame. But not consistently.
Also, it’s not obvious when inspecting and can easily be overlooked.

I have this exact same issue on my 2004, 2WD. It has been driving me nuts. My sway bar links and bushing were shot, I thought for sure that was it. I changed all of them, front and back. Nope, still there. It is only at parking lot speeds, going forwards or reverse, when the wheel is cranked to the right. I will have to check out that wheel liner deal, sounds interesting. Perhaps the trans cross bar too.

So just to add more nonsense to finding out absolutely nothing about the noises my vehicle is making. I started my vehicle and went to back out of my drive way but reverse did absolutely nothing. So put it in drive to pull forward and nothing again. Only thing that seems to be working is park. All the other gears just act like they're in neutral. So frustrating

Back