2 Problems-Driver window & Front Blinker | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2 Problems-Driver window & Front Blinker

dzr928

Reaction score
City, State
Detroit, mi
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Explorer Sport
I'm a newbie here, but im definitely not new to forums, and how they work, I always use forums to find answers to questions like these, and this forum looks to be up to the task. I've already done my searches, and i think i'm on the right track, but i want to tap the knowledge base just for fun.

2001 Explorer Sport 4.0 4x4 Auto sunroof, loaded up...100K miles

I've got 2 problems, and i dont think they are related, but its quite a coincidence that they occoured at what seems to be very close the same time.

1st Issue: Driver window isnt working, buzz from under the dash. I've searched and read many posts here, and that sounds most likely to be a broken wire somewhere between the hinge pillar and the door where the wire flex occours. Anyway the only questions i really have is if anyone has a wiring schematic for a 2001 Explorer Sport so i know what color wires to check.

2nd issue: Front Driver side Blinker not working. It did te fast blink, then it was fine then it was fast blink again, now its gone totally, and the bulb is good. So from my reading here, i come up with a few possibilities. Brake Pedal Position switch, which is powered by the multi finction switch, so one of those two, is most likely the problem. So what i need (again) is the wiring schematic for a 2001 Sport, so i can test these and see whats wrong? Anyway what are your thoughts, and why does it seem so difficult to find wiring diagrams for a 2001 Sport?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Usually a fast blink is a sign of the bulb being bad or going bad. Are you sure it's the bulb? I have had bulbs that looked good that didn't work. If it isn't the bulb, then it would be more than likely a "open" on one of you wires leading to that bulb.

-mc

yeah, not the bulb, theres no power at the bulb...

I was asking if anyone has wiring diagrams for these in a 2001 Explorer Sport?

ahhh yes exactly what i was looking for. Thanks a million!
Now i got the print out of it, so i guess i gotta go get to work on it! I'll post my results when finished!

ok i've got an update... No answer, but an update & oh yeah some more questions! The blinker problem has cured itself, im sure it will be back, but for now its working so i really cant test it...

The door lock... Hmmm... I tested the motor, it works just fine, so i went into testing the wiring using the diagram provided (thanks) and i theres two output wires from the driver side switch.

One is tan and blue (down), the other black and white (up).

Well no power transfers when i hit the up button, to either wire, but they both power up when i hit the down button, and when i hit the down button. all i get is a buzz from the relay box.

So im not sure whats going on? whats your thoughts on this and what should i try next?? possible bad switch?

ok the window problem was the switch... i took the switch apart, and popped off the rocker switch, and there is a small square plastic piece that is forced down by a spring into the metal contacts. On this plastic piece there are two round bumps that activate the switch, the small bumps were worn down significantly, so i popped off the passenger toggle on the same switch, and swapped the plastic pieces, to test my theory. when i tried it, it went down, but not up, and i attribute this to all the plastic shavings (dust) being trapped in the contact area. Anyway, in my mind, i had proven it was something to do with the switch, and found one at a junk yard for $25. I put it in, and it worked perfectly. So theres a question, not many answers, a good link to the wiring diagran i needed, and a follow up of how my problem solved was solved. Thanks everyone!

Back