TDS '08 Who's going? | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

TDS '08 Who's going?

One more thing Colin, did Rick send any of these with you the last t-haven run? I need one to replace my missing pass. one and one for the 150.;)

AAA1.jpg
Nice looking sticker!;):p:

No room in mine this time Dannyboy, sorry. I have four persons total coming out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Speaking of which.... Where is Rick? Dosn't normally come to TDS?:scratch:..and I havn't seen Char in forever!:(

Speaking of which.... Where is Rick? Dosn't normally come to TDS?:scratch:..and I havn't seen Char in forever!:(
Now that is a good fargin' question.

Okay, went out to Ocotillo Wells today and talked to a few rangers. They think it will be a zoo in most of the camping areas around Main Street. It was suggested that we camp in teh Hidden Valley area, which is about five miles east of Main Street. The main camping area there might be crowded, so they both said we can drive out on that road a few miles. I scouted it out and a RV could get out that road with no trouble. If we go north 2.8 miles from SR-78 on Cahuilla Trail we will be about 1.5 miles past the main camping area for that trail (cabana's, picnic tables, pit toilets), but near enough to the bathrooms for the tent campers. The trail gets a little rough for RV's past that point, which is right near where the Gas Dome Trail intersects Cahuilla. That is only a four or five mile ride in the dirt to Main Street, where TDS is held.

What do you people think?

All of your numbers, directions and trail names completely confused me, but I'm good with whatever. :D

Okay, sorry. I was being brief.

Cahuilla Trail is a gravel road that heads north from SR-78.

If you are traveling westbound on SR-78 from SR-86, its approximately ten miles west of SR-86 near mile marker 3.0 (the call box numbers are mile post markers) and on your right.

If you are traveling eastbound on SR-78, approximately five miles past Ocotillo Wells (Split Mountain Road) and 1/2 mile east of the Blue-In Park (small building on the right, just past a concrete bridge), and on your left.

Trail is clearly marked with a brown sign "Cahuilla Trail". Roadway is dark gravel for first 1/2 mile or so, then turns into plain old dirt.

Head up road 2.8 miles and camp on the flat on either side of the roadway. Its slow going for RV's due to it being a little bumpy, but a nice hard surface. If you get to Gas Dome Trail you went too far (but not by much). If you have a Ocotillo OHV park map, the trail is listed on there.

Whomever is planning on getting there first should bring a sign or some type of marker they can leave near the trail on the same side they are camping. You can pull several hundred yards off the main trail in this area, especially to the right. I will try to post a Goggle Earth picture soon.

What do you people think?

Sounds like it's as good of a place as any...let's do it:thumbsup:
Although I'm with Colin, I'm not familiar with the area you are talking about. I'm gonna look at the maps I have.

Dannyboy, i'll have an open seat too if you need it.

There's gonna be a clean-up hosted by ACORA (the Azusa guys) on sunday of the same weekend of the TDS Safari. The clean-up will be at Truckhaven and not at Ocotillo Wells and is also not affiliated with the Safari. Sounds like they will be cleaning up in the area(s) around where we used to camp off Marina dr.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=646711

EDIT: just saw your revised post Brian :)

I think My dad was planning on heading out there thursday maybe, I will not be out till Friday around dusk;)

...as long as I get my truck fixed:rolleyes:

Brian, just because I know you're watching this thread.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/pts/578822717.html

All it listed was a statement it was "Going to be FLAGGED for removal". What the heck was it??

Steve, ask your pop's to make a sign with an arrow and place it on the same side of the trail he is camping on, and have it set up so you turn in front of the sign. That way when we come in the dark, we don't end up running off into a ditch or a sand dune with the RV's.

Thanks for the maps Brian, that looks familiar now. I recognize the blue inn park with it being next to the wash, a real big wash if i remember correctly so it's hard to miss.

...i tried it and it was flagged for me also...;)

Oh sorry, it was a complete D44 with radius arms out of a bronco for $100.

EDIT: weird, its' still there for me.
Wow, I am going to call that guy first thing in the morning.

Okay, the girl is cool with going if we take the dirt bkes for a ride out there on Sunday morning. So it looks like we'll be along for the ride. And Dave, thanks, I'd love some passenger seat time in your monster.

Now, I just gotta patent and build my version of a Froader van. Thanks to Colin for the photoshop or I get to deal with truckhaven wind.

DannyboyCamper.jpg

I think he pulled the ad beause now there is one with the same phone number, stating he has two of them for $200.00 each. I will try anyway.

Now, I just gotta patent and build my version of a Froader van. Thanks to Colin for the photoshop or I get to deal with truckhaven wind.

DannyboyCamper.jpg
Nice PLEASURE DOME!!!:p::eek::confused::rolleyes:

I've been checking this site and more importantly this thread out for a little while. I'm new to the site but would love to go out with you guys to tds. I've been taking the X out every weekend to santiago, main divide, eg. but have no wheelin partners. Not sure if you guys would mind a new guy coming out or if i need to do a little run to prove my worthyness......

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back