2000, 4.0 burning coolant for the 2nd time | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000, 4.0 burning coolant for the 2nd time

plane crazy

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer 4wd XLT
Howdy All,

This is my first post, I have a 2000 and 1994 Explorer and do all my own work. I am an aircraft mech.

My 2000, 4.0 pushrod engine started burning coolant. At the same time I had a #4 misfire code. I diagnosed the lower intake manifold. Tore it down and the #4 hole was sucking coolant. Re-assymbled with Felpro gaskets.

Worked fine for 50 miles, then started blowing white smoke outta the exhaust. Burning coolant again!!!! With another #4 misfire code.

Can I rule-out cracked manifold or head issues? Why did it run fine for 50 miles after repair of the gaskets, then fail?

Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it is not uncommon for the heads on the 4.0L OHV engines to develop cracks and leak coolant into the bores. they are also known form blowing head gaskets. both conditions can occur with, or without, overheating the engine.

Worked fine for 50 miles, then started blowing white smoke outta the exhaust. Burning coolant again!!!! With another #4 misfire code.

Can I rule-out cracked manifold or head issues? Why did it run fine for 50 miles after repair of the gaskets, then fail?

Any ideas?

Once upon a time I work as a Tech in a Ford dealership. Had a 2000 Explorer come in with the 4.0 OHV that had a misfire code (IIRC it was Cyl #4). Me and a friend of mine that worked there, changed wires, changed plugs, changed coils, changed injectors (swapped to different cyl not replaced) and could not get the misfire to go away. We did not have a white smoke condition so heads/gaskets were not suspected. Each time we would change something thinking we had it, you could start it up and it was great. Cleared the codes and let it ride. It would come back a few days (40-100 miles) later with the CEL illuminated and the same misfire code showing. Finally pulled the head and found the head cracked between the valves. Would not misfire while cold, and would not do it for a day or two.

I say this all to let you know that I have had your mileage issue with a misfire, and found it to be a cracked head. If I were you, I would pull the head and check it. Only other thing is if the gasket has failed again alowing water seepage, or the head gasket is leaking. Good luck with it!

Leak down test on cylinder 4? Possibly do it when hot as stated above?

try this it's easy and surprisingly... it usually works and it guaranteed...it's the ONLY product I would even tell anyone about..it has no corn meals or steel or aluminum partials in it..it is a ceramic seal and really works. Look up "Steel Seal" you have to order it as they do not offer discounts to suppliers..but I have used it three times and 100% success. Also look it up on youtube or call the MFG., and they will refer you to several local mechanic who have purchased and use their product....But don't waste your money on any other stuff...it will usually cause additional issues with other heating or a heater that is stopped up!

Back