2000 Eddie Bauer V8 5.0l - New Owner HELP! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 Eddie Bauer V8 5.0l - New Owner HELP!

23 plus mpg?? i wish i was living on fantasy island with you!

no fantasy at all. even my AWD 5.0 can get 22 MPG highway. around town I usually see 15-16 MPG. the worst I've ever seen was 14. now, I will say that there's not much traffic where I live, it's not too hilly and my vehicles are all well maintained.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok guys I have an update.

I returned back to the dealer's recommended mechanic and he said he took it to his 'transmission expert' who reported no problems. He also took it out for another test drive and said that he experienced no troubles at all.

He tells me to give it a few more weeks and if the problem intensifies to come back and it should be easier to locate.

Okay.

So I leave the dealership and come home. Today, he calls me back and says that the Transmission Expert calls him back and says that it's actually the Lock Up Torque Converter. He wants to do a complete overhaul of the transmission system because 'filings get into the system during that part's replacement so they may as well do the whole thing'. He says this is completly covered under my warranty and I will require no cash up front to complete the job. He said it would take two days to do.

I am very concerned of the following:

1. this is a dodgy insurance job. the mechanic is going to claim the whole lot on insurance even though the car may not need it? He specifically said - Make sure your car has done 500kms since purchase before you bring it back to me.

2. He is taking some of my good parts and replacing them with his own dodgy parts? Far fetched probably, but I don't trust this guy at all.

3. My insurance is going to be wary over me for the remainder of my 2 year policy because of this big claim only a few weeks into ownership of the vehicle.

How much does this overhaul generally cost?

Many thanks guys, again I would appreciate your assistance on this. Is this a typical problem that would exist with a faulty Lock Up Torque Converter?

He's not kidding. I've driven my 2000 for about a thousand miles now and I'm getting 18 combined. If I reset the message center while cruising at 65 it says between 22 and 23 miles per gallon and I still have a lot to do. This vehicle was not cared for for many years.

My 97 on the other hand will only do 17 combined at it's best in the summer.

My 00 5.0 does 13 ish and 17 ish... Driving very calm.. Well see after my headers go on and then bw 4406 swap as well with a few things.. Then I'll be up there with the big boys !!! Lol

23 is awesome in a v8, my v6 with manual averages around 18 city 24 highway until I hit interstate runs then it's 17..... really need an extra gear to run 75-90 but I recently switched to entenol free gas and so far it's been 20 city and 26 highway but only checked it the 2 times before I started getting a whining in the tranny.

23 is awesome in a v8, my v6 with manual averages around 18 city 24 highway until I hit interstate runs then it's 17..... really need an extra gear to run 75-90 but I recently switched to entenol free gas and so far it's been 20 city and 26 highway but only checked it the 2 times before I started getting a whining in the tranny.

26 hwy is very good. you'd be surprised to see how much better it would be if you'd keep the speed down. keep in mind our trucks have all the aerodynamics of a barn door and pushing them to 80-90 mph (unless you're talking kilometers) creates a lot of wind resistance.

Sooo any thoughts on my update here guys?

26 hwy is very good. you'd be surprised to see how much better it would be if you'd keep the speed down. keep in mind our trucks have all the aerodynamics of a barn door and pushing them to 80-90 mph (unless you're talking kilometers) creates a lot of wind resistance.

Tell me about it got caught in a storm with like 50-60MPH winds few weeks ago, Man that was a tough drive really made me miss my old 3/4ton lowrider wind never phased that old truck.

I'd take it to a reputable tranny shop and get and have it looked at. And I don't think they are bringing in the vehicle, remove the tranny and rebuild everything and hand it back in two days.

One other thing. Did you ever change the plugs, wires and run some cleaner and fresh fuel through it? And with the warranty there's no hurry to get it done. Run it for a while and see if it's another issue other than the tranny. Just make sure it gets done within the warranty period if it even needs it.

Back