2000 Explorer 5.0L | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 Explorer 5.0L

I know not the year your looking for but for anyone interested I have my 98 5.0 AWD Limited for sale...The lady I got it from fell off the face of the earth before giving me the title and there is nothing I can do with that in Maryland. It would make a good parts or swap vehicle for states that require a title. I'm looking to get what I have in it back which is $950. Let me know if interested and I'll get you some pics and more info.

Do you still have it?

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Where in Chicagoland are you? I'm up North in Vernon Hills and have a 2000 5.0 AWD XLT with 158,000 miles. It has the tow package, leather, cd player, sunroof, etc... Its not in perfect condition, but its got many new parts on it all within the past year including:
-passenger side exhaust manifold
-muffler
-dorman camshaft synchronizer
-IAC valve
-Passenger side hub bearing
-brake lines
-Serpentine belt
-Idler & Tensioner Pulley
-Fresh synthetic oil
-Differential fluid changed
-Intake gasket
-Oil pan gasket
-I believe the rear main seal was done (unless my last mechanic screwed me)
-New Autolite Double Platinum Spark Plugs.

As for what it needs:
-its got some rust that you'd probably want to take care of
-needs lower ball joints (I already have MOOG ball joints here I'll include)
-some of the door locks have a mind of their own, but you can still unlock most with the remote and the keys work too
-When my exhaust manifold was replaced, they broke a bolt so it is now ticking. This needs to be extracted and replaced

I wasn't really looking to sell as I just got it a year ago, but I've been looking more into the 3rd gens and if I get a fair offer I think I'd let it go. I havent looked for 5.0's specifically, but I know there are tons of 2nd gens out there selling for next to nothing, but in reality they all usually need work. I can't compete with the people selling theirs for $1,500 considering I have more than that in parts and labor alone in the past year, but after looking at it, either we get together on a number or we don't. No big deal.

The truck has never had a check engine light on since I've owned it and I just passed emissions about a month ago. Let me know if you want to arrange some time to take a look.

*I might be having the ball joints done this weekend.
**Forgot to mention it has a brand new battery in it as well.

CAM00240.jpg

Thanks for the tip! Looks Like a nice one, I am definitely looking for and EB though with less miles, but thanks!

No problem. Good luck on the hunt.

yep thanks

Thanks for the tip! Looks Like a nice one, I am definitely looking for and EB though with less miles, but thanks!

not easy to find a 15 year old vehicle with less than 158K on it. they do pop up now and then, but be prepared to pay a premium price.

BTW, a decently maintained V8 should easily go 300K in my opinion. I've got one closing in on 225,000 and, other than the radio display not working, there's not a single thing wrong with it. it doesn't even burn or leak any oil. I also have 2 others at around 200K/200K+ that don't have any issues either. it should be noted that i stay on top with maintenance and repairs.

In GA clean V8's are getting very hard to find. Not that many AWD's either. I see them occasionally. The last one I saw was about a month ago, a one owner beautiful dark green '99 EB with full service history and low miles. The seller was only asking $1,950 and it sold within an hour. I sent an email with an offer, but I was too late. If you see one you've got to snap it up quick.

Have to get lucky almost if looking for specifics. I looked at 2nd gens for a couple of months before stumbling on mine. Seller listed as "2001 Explorer $1400 OBO", nothing else. Caught the listing within an hour and called. Met up with him and test drove, looked way to good to be true. XLT V6 4x4 at 137K miles with towing package (oil cooler and tranny cooler) but never used to tow. Turned out he was the original owner (and the commander of my county police academy) and had dealer serviced from new at all intervals with all records. Transmission was biggest issue he ever had, but had been replaced by a very reputable shop two years before at 120K (paperwork and warranty for another year included).

Ten years ago I sold my 1994 X that after I was done had 225K on the clock I paid $500 for $1500. This one should and would have been $3000 any other day. Got lucky. Search long enough and you can too.

Definitely look for the mountaineer many more out there I just happened to stumble across a 97 v8 eb explorer with 234 on it that I'm pickin up on Friday for 500, runs and drives just needs a hub assembly, a good cleaning an minor work. I you keep looking you will find them, there is a couple here in snj but more in north jersey

Yeah, luck and acting quickly when you see a good one are the key. I wasn't really looking for another truck when I found/bought my '00 XLT V8. I bought it to have as a spare vehicle, in case one of my family's 4 other Gen II's broke down (turned out I had 2 of them break down w/in 30 day's of buying the XLT with bad fuel pumps) and I wasn't planning on using it as my daily driver, but it turned out to be a really good truck, needed mostly only minor repairs. I haven't driven my '01 V8 EB much since last fall (I want to keep it looking good, as it's my best truck).

Have your cash ready, look at CL several times a day and be patient. When you see a good one, jump on it. Like I said earlier, there getting harder to find every day.

So do any of you have a preference for a v8 or a v6? Taking in account for reliability and performance. Due to the fact of hard it is to find a nice v8, I may just go back to a v6. I know the v6 has its issues with the timing chains and I do not personally know major issues with the 5.0. So if someone can give me some feedback on which you may prefer, if you have driven or owned both. Thank you much

V8.jpg

Lol in all honesty I don't have as much experience as many of the other guys on this forum who own or have owned multiple Explorers, but when I was looking for mine, this forum and a couple others guided me straight to the 5.0. Not that the v6s aren't good, but when the truck is getting to be this old and/or with this many miles on it, you usually want to stick with the engine thats proven to be bullet-proof. On the old Grand Cherokee I used to have the V6s were considered bullet-proof and more reliable over the v8s. With these 2nd gens and I think even 3rd gens, the v8 seems to be the safer route. I believe the timing chains was one reason and another was the transmission that came with the 5.0 is more reliable.

I know one down side to the 5.0 that you are probably already aware of is that it only comes in 2wd or AWD. 4x4 is more desirable and only available on the v6s.

yea I found out out about the 4x4 being available on the v6 pretty quickly. But i am just going back and forth just because I want the 5.0 but they are very very hard to find. And your explorer looks very clean by the way, thank you for replying.

So do any of you have a preference for a v8 or a v6? Taking in account for reliability and performance. Due to the fact of hard it is to find a nice v8, I may just go back to a v6. I know the v6 has its issues with the timing chains and I do not personally know major issues with the 5.0. So if someone can give me some feedback on which you may prefer, if you have driven or owned both. Thank you much

I won't buy another v6 unless it had all the timing chain components replaced. I have found there are no real issues with the 5.0L's. If my only choice was a SOHC V6 that had over 100K on it and had not had all the timing chain parts replaced, I wouldn't buy an Explorer.

Yesterday the guy up the road gave me his 2000 V8 AWD XLT with sunroof. 202k but hey the price was right. Put a battery in it drove it home, walked back and got my truck. Skipping pretty bad, it won't idle, swapped coil packs and the misfire moved to other cylinders so I'm pretty sure I found the problem ;) Coil pack already ordered from Rock Auto, $23

Bill

Do you still have it?

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Sorry I didn't realize anyone had answered, not sure how to get notifications....
Anyway yes I still have it, sent you a PM

Thanks for the post, but I found a 2000 Eddie Bauer 5.0L AWD Blue with just under 100,000 miles and there is no rust on it or any leaks that I can see. Once its in my hands I will post some pictures.

Back