• Register Today It's free!

2000 Explorer 5R55E tranny

tf43

Reaction score
City, State
American Samoa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLS X series VIN
I had posted this to the 2nd generation forum the other day, and a kind user advised that there is a tranny forum too, so here is what I posted: thanks gang
Not sure if anyone else has found this, but this is great for those wanting to know about their 5R55E tranny, the link is:
http://www.fordexplorerclub.ru/Alex/...sion/5R55E.pdf
It is about 6megs in PDF format.
Not sure if this post belongs here, or in tech tips area...

Anyway, I have a 2000 XLS with the 4.0 OHV X series VIN
It is making noise in 1st gear, like metal rubbing metal
2nd a little noise, and drive is ok. Reverse will at times jump in/out of gear
The problem is more so once warmed up some and driven over 5/9 miles
You pull in to park somewhere and it will disengage and engage forward or reverse. And has this terrible metal grinding/rubbing noise really bad in 1st gear even cold. If I put it in 2nd and leave a stop, it isn't bad.
Anyone got an idea of what might be failing...???
Bearing, bushing, planetary gear set...
The problem does get more when the fluid warms up.
Now, with that all said, today I pulled the pan and replace the filter for giggles...it had some sludge and lots of tiny little metal flakes in it...well we all know that isn't good. Just wondering if anyone has run into this item and what they found wrong. I'm on the hunt for another transmission anyway. This was rebuilt about a year ago or a little over, and this is the one I drove for about 4 years with no 2nd gear at all, see all my other posts about this car...
Built Ford tough...but fear I may need a tow truck at some point...giggle
Anyway, if anyone has had this noise in first, a little in second...what could one be looking at? And don't say, rebuilt it, I already know that...but where would the problem focus be. Thanks gang - T

My guess is that the failure will be with the low planet assembly.

Back