99 Explorer 5R55E tranny problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 Explorer 5R55E tranny problem

fonzie

Reaction score
I just bought a 99 Eddie Baurer 4.0l a couple of months ago with 178k on it. It had the OD light flashing when I bought it. I checked the codes and got P0741 Tcc soleniod issues. The fluid was burnt, so I changed the fluid and lost the blinking for about 300 miles. Then it started again, changed the TCC solenoid,no help. It would drive for about 30 miles, then OD light flashing, reset the PCM, it would be good for another 30 miles. It shifted fine while all of this was going on, just wouldn't lock-up the converter. Today I drove it about 60 miles, stop and go. When I got home, I could smell burnt fluid. Hooked up the scanner and went for a short drive. Trans fluid was 148 degrees with P1783 code (transmission overheat condition) and went into limp mode for the first time. Is it time to bite the bullet and rebuild or replace, or is there something I could replace i.e. ( torque converter, valve body, etc.) to correct this proplem.

a tc might fix it, but a rebuild is the only garuntee, these transmissions are known for stator support bushing failures that slowly eat the tcc, as well as valve body and seperator plate issues. when the tcc fails it can damage other seals as well as the clutches

RickyBobby I agree with that. And yes it is time to do something about it I have dealt with P0741 before.

Back