2000 Explorer Limited Seat Heater not working | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 Explorer Limited Seat Heater not working

bragl123

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Limited
My 2000 Explorer Limited Drivers side Seat heater isn't working. Last winter, the element located below my right thigh, above my knee would get hot to the point I had to turn the seat heater off. This year it stopped working all together. How tough and how expensive is this to replace? Do you have to totally remove the seat or just the back...then the seat cover? A web search shows the elements for one seat are about $125.

My 2000 Explorer Limited Drivers side Seat heater isn't working. Last winter, the element located below my right thigh, above my knee would get hot to the point I had to turn the seat heater off. This year it stopped working all together. How tough and how expensive is this to replace? Do you have to totally remove the seat or just the back...then the seat cover? A web search shows the elements for one seat are about $125.

I've done this on lincolns (the limited seats look similar) and to remove a seatback you take off the plastic side trim, remove two bolts, and then remove a pivot bolt on the opposite side.
Disconnect any wiring and the seat back is out.

There is usually a plastic hook clamp at the bottom of the seat back. You can unlatch it and you may be able to slide in a new seat heating element.

To remove the bottom cushion you may be able to do it in car with the seat back out, or you can remove 4 floor bolts and take the entire seat out. Then you can remove the seat from the frame or just try to take out the cushion.

The bottom cushion will have plastic long hook clamps holding the seat to the frame.

Also, there may be things called hog rings holding the cushions in place. They are small metal circular rings with pointy ends that you have to spread with long nose pliers or a special tool. I usually replace them with wire ties.

The labor to do this (im guessing??) maybe $200 a seat or so. Maybe more at the dealer, they would probably milk you on a "luxury" repair item like that.

Some cars have their heating elements actually sandwiched in the upholstery. These have to be repaired by weaving special wire in the cushion.

Thanks for the info. Although I am fairly handy, it would be my issue that I couldn't fix it or get the seat back in order to drive it to get it fixed. Spring will be here soon, thank goodness.

The Limited seat should also have a side air bag you would need to consider if you get into that half of the seat.

I am horrible at upholstery work. I just hate it. But even I could do this. Don't be afraid of it. Worst case would be you could pull the seat, separate the halves, and take it to a shop and have them do it. They would probably charge you an hour or two is all.

Back