• Register Today It's free!

jbgreer

Reaction score
City, State
Richmond CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 explorer 2wd xlt
Hello,
I had a 1995 Explorer XLT and have the shop manuals.
The current 2000 Exporer has two(2) ECT (engine coolant temp) sensors. The PCM supplies the voltage for the 2 sensors circuits. I was tracking the wiring diagram for these ECTs using the old shop manuals. I need the pin out for the 2000 Explorer V6 PCM and if the detailed schematic were available would be a BIG help. My goal was to repair the PCM, I can deal with the electronic circuits.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2000 Explorer PCM help

Thanks!!!
The ECT for the 1995 Explorer in on pin 7 of the PCM.
For the 2000 is the ECT on pin 7?
Thanks, Jim.

The current 2000 Exporer has two(2) ECT (engine coolant temp) sensors. The PCM supplies the voltage for the 2 sensors circuits.

I am going off the wiring diagrams for a 99 sohc as I don't have the 2000 in front of me. I think you may be in error with that statement...or I misunderstand it. The ECT Sensor (which is the one that the PCM uses to make tuning adjustments) receives it's power source from the ECM (probably 5 volts that is resisted according to temp) and utilizes two wires...LG/RD and GY/RD. The pin number for the PCM for this source is pin 38

The engine coolant temperature sensor for the gauge receives it's power feed from the instrument cluster and is resisted for proper gauge reading according to temp. The wires for that sensor are RD/WH and BK/WH. The power source for this is pin 3 of connector 287 at the instrument panel.

Again, this is for a 1999 SOHC. I don't see the gauge sender being powered by the PCM in this car. Makes no sense at all. If that were the case, they would simply use the reading from the ECT and output it to the cluster...something they actually do in most other vehicles now.

Pin 7 on a 99 SOHC and 5.0 is unused. You can't use your 95 as a reference as it's an 80 pin ECM and EEC-IV.

Back