2000 Explorer Sport 4.0 OHC engine swap. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 Explorer Sport 4.0 OHC engine swap.

mmmmedic50

4x4 manual trans
Reaction score
City, State
Garrett, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Sport
Hi all, I searched the forums and have not found this info.
I have a 2000 Explorer Sport, 4.0L OHC, 4x4, manual transmission. Looking at my options for an engine swap in the future. Is a 5.0L an option for this vehicle and retain the manual transmission and 4x4? I have read the issues to ensure the donor vehicle is of the same year. I don't think the 5.0L was available in manual transmission though. Any help is much appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A 5.0L swap can be done, but the V6 transmission (manual or auto) will not work with the 5.0L engine. If you're seriously considering this swap, you'll want to acquire the complete donor vehicle as many parts will be required. You are correct in that a manual transmission was never offered in the V8 Explorer. IDK if a manual trans was ever offered in the F150 V8.

How about using an f150 as a donor? They came with the option I do believe.

F150 Donor for the engine and trans and tcase, but you really need a 5.0L Explorer donor for lots of other stuff, wiring and ecu.

A 4.2 f150 trans is what everyone uses in their manual swap. It's just only able to hold the power of a mostly stock 5.0 though.

Has anyone done a write up on the swap process for converting a 4.0 either SOHC or OHC to a 5.0 V8? I have searched the forum and found many discussions but no "how to's." Looking online the horsepower difference from the 4.0 compared to the 5.0 was only about 30 horsepower, is that correct? Like I posted previously I have a 2000 Sport with the 4.0 OHC 4x4 and manual transmission. It came from New Mexico and has no rust, but does have 220K miles. When the engine does finally need replaced I'm investigating the options and came across the 5.0 idea. For anyone that has done this, was it worth it? Is it possible to keep it as a manual transmission and 4x4? Thanks, Michael

if you want a manual trans get a m50r2 this trans is a little shorter and the back is 6bolt with a 31 spline shaft. this configuration opens up a lot of tc options over the 5 bolt 25 spline.
roscoe

Sorry for the exhibition of my lack of mechanical knowledge on this subject, but why don't they use the manual transmission that comes in the Mustang 5.0? Borg Warner T5? It seems to handle the 5.0 as it came stock.

Sorry for the exhibition of my lack of mechanical knowledge on this subject, but why don't they use the manual transmission that comes in the Mustang 5.0? Borg Warner T5? It seems to handle the 5.0 as it came stock.

It would work but puts the shifter where the console armrest is. The F150 trans comes through the factory location.

the f-150 trans will put the shifter forward. I think you can put the m5r1 top cover on a m5r2 which will put the shifter in the original place.
roscoe

Back