2000 ford explorer sport ignition problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 ford explorer sport ignition problems

microvibe

Reaction score
City, State
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport, 94 XLT
Hello,

I just bought a 2000 explorer sport 2dr 4x4 sohc from insurance , it was an attempted theft so the ignition cyclinder might be broken the key goes in but wont turn over no matter how much jiggling i do. My question is can i get just a new ignition cyclinder and key from auto wrecker and use that? or will it need to be programed , or could i just get a new cyclinder and use my old key without being reprogramed?

thanks

Are you sure you're using a "PATS" (Passive Anti Theft System) key to start it? A door key won't start up your ride. A PATS key is cut with the same pattern as a door key, but there is a little chip in a PATS key which talks to the security system and allows your Explorer to be started. PATS keys tend to be black plastic keys. Door keys are all metal. If you weren't given two PATS keys, you're going to need to get two keys cut at a dealer. Expect to pay at least $100 for two new keys and programming. I say "two keys" because you want to have two around at all time as a minimum. You cannot program additional keys yourself without having 2 to start with.

thanks for the reply,

well i fixed the issue of it not being able to turn the key steering was locked to far to one side silly me, so now the ex runs great drives perfect and i am happy as hell.

Now i have complete different set of questions sometimes thier a howling coming from the air box area but if i rev it up goes away any ever had this noise before?

i am wondering if i can put in a factory cd/cassete deck in my EX without modifying anything currently has a tape deck model.

thanks again

Look for Idle Air control valve threads, I think that's one of the symptoms, if it has a black rubber 'blob' on the side, pull it off and see if the noise goes away.

The IAC is on the top of the manifold, remove the plastic cover, you'll see it.

Back