2000 Ford Explorer won't start

63falcondude

Reaction score
City, State
Toms River, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer EB
Hi all,
Since it has gotten cold out, my truck (2000 Eddie Bauer Ford Explorer) has not been starting. The battery is fine and the engine turns over but does not start even with starter fluid. The fuel filter and spark plugs and wires are new.

I have since replaced the ignition coil and attempted to start it with no luck. When I spray the starter fluid the engine turns over and tries to start. I am guessing that the starter fluid is igniting but the engine is not getting gas to keep it running.

Any suggestions? (Besides bring it to a shop because I am a poor college student and like fixing things on my own)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you could get the fuel pressure checked, and in the meanwhile maybe swap the pump relay with another. See if you can hear the pump "prime" when you firrst turn the key..

Cool ill check it out when I get back from work and let you know.

If you could get the fuel pressure checked, and in the meanwhile maybe swap the pump relay with another. See if you can hear the pump "prime" when you firrst turn the key..

I swapped the pump relay with the one directly in front of it, checked the #9 fuse, and checked the inertia switch. When I turn the key I hear something that sounds like it is coming from the glove box or passenger foot area. It sounds like a gear is continuously turning (this sound is quiet) with a fairly loud click about every three seconds.

Can you here the fuel pump when you turn the key

I could not hear the fuel pump when I turned the key to ON. I just realized that every time I start my truck I turn the key from OFF through ON to START without letting it prime. Can this cause a problem? Come to think of it I have basically never turned the key to ON, waited a few seconds, then turned the key to START.

The way you were starting it is not really an issue. Its just a habit a lot of car guys have so when you turn the key to fire its a quick crank and on since it was primed.

A couple possibilities from past issues Ive had is coolant temp sensors, a bad maf. And not an issue I have had but it could be water in the gas.

Does your anti theft light blink fast when you turn the key to the on position / engine off. ???

Does your anti theft light blink fast when you turn the key to the on position / engine off. ???

I'm having the same problem with my 98 4.0 SOHC and YES the anti theft light is blinking fast. Is this a key fob issue?

I'm not sure if the cold would affect anything electrical, sounds more like a fuel delivery problem.

A few things come to mind. As others suggested check fuel pressure, but also:

Fuel filter clogged? When was last time changed?
Fuel pump shut off could have tripped?

The sound you hear by the glove box is probably the climate control door.

When you sprayed the starter fluid, did the engine run a little bit?

OHV or SOHC? Did you check the fuel pressure as drdoom suggested? Has the fuel filter ever been been replaced?

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263665

It is a 4.0L SOHC

No

I'm not sure if the cold would affect anything electrical, sounds more like a fuel delivery problem.

A few things come to mind. As others suggested check fuel pressure, but also:

Fuel filter clogged? When was last time changed?
Fuel pump shut off could have tripped?

The sound you hear by the glove box is probably the climate control door.

When you sprayed the starter fluid, did the engine run a little bit?

The fuel filter was replaced less than a year ago, I checked the shut off switch and it had not been tripped. The starter fluid caught and the engine ran for about 1/2 second. I'm thinking that it might be the fuel pump, I can't hear it at all when the key is turned.

I'm having the same problem with my 98 4.0 SOHC and YES the anti theft light is blinking fast. Is this a key fob issue?

No. there is no moving parts in the key ( a chipped key) It is the PATS (passive anti theft system ). It is located behind the passenger airbag in the dash.

pats system can be effected by cold on older models. where its located, next to heat ducts. and the type of soldering used it is very easy to have a small crack in a joint. and the cold will contract the metals. making a break in the system. Here is what I had to do at one time for a test. Take a hair dryer place on floorboard facing up behind glovebox. let run for about ten minutes, then see if it starts... It should heat it up enough to expand the connection and make contact and then start.... when I replaced my pats, I took my old one apart and I have seen better solder connections on an easy bake oven...

I had the same quick start then died. Ended up PATS .after replacing everything mentioned before. after over 900 $ at the dealer to have them say nothings wrong. and leave it with us for a week or two......... I got NOOO help from ford on any information or direction, had to find out myself what it was.. Seems to me they would have a help center for dealers for related issues to look up issues......... I would hate to think what the cost would have been for them to figure it out..... Probably a new toyota tacoma......

I know you changed wires and coil but you do have a constant spark when you ground a ign wire? If so then for sure a pump pressure test is in order. Take the guess work out of if your hear or don't hear the pump. Those are my starting points, but since it is starting to do it in cold weather. Then like mentioned above a coolant sensor switch is possible. I have no idea about the sentry system and flashing light. I hope I never need to worry about that.

I know you changed wires and coil but you do have a constant spark when you ground a ign wire? If so then for sure a pump pressure test is in order. Take the guess work out of if your hear or don't hear the pump. Those are my starting points, but since it is starting to do it in cold weather. Then like mentioned above a coolant sensor switch is possible. I have no idea about the sentry system and flashing light. I hope I never need to worry about that.

Yea I need to pick up a pressure gauge, just don't have the money right now. This all happened after I accidently left the back glass open overnight, killing the battery. I graduate in a week so I will have some more time to try and figure this out. I appreciate everyone helping me!

First, many of the auto parts stores will loan out tools, you may not need to buy a fuel pressure gauge.
Second, while this is a long shot, I've seen computers do some stupid things when the power level gets low so you might try taking the negative battery cable off for a minute or so and then reconnect to reboot the system, it's a cheap and easy try and gives you a reason to clean the battery terminals.
If the fuel pump isn't working be sure to check that it's getting voltage, you would hate to replace the pump and then find out the problem is a poor wire connection!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First, many of the auto parts stores will loan out tools, you may not need to buy a fuel pressure gauge.
Second, while this is a long shot, I've seen computers do some stupid things when the power level gets low so you might try taking the negative battery cable off for a minute or so and then reconnect to reboot the system, it's a cheap and easy try and gives you a reason to clean the battery terminals.
If the fuel pump isn't working be sure to check that it's getting voltage, you would hate to replace the pump and then find out the problem is a poor wire connection!

Yea I am going to see if I can rent one somewhere. How would I go about testing for voltage to the fuel pump?

Back