2000 XLT: PIAA 510s in stock fog locations? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 XLT: PIAA 510s in stock fog locations?

I am upgrading the lighting a bit on my 2000 XLT.

According to the 2nd to last question in the first post of the LIGHTING FAQ's & ANSWERS !!!!! thread, PIAA 510 driving lamps should fit in the stock 2000 XLT foglight locations.

However, I only want to do this installation if the following criteria can be met:
1) Lamps get sufficient wattage.
2) Stock foglight switch still controls foglights.
3) Foglights stay on with stock foglight switch, regardless of low/high-beam selection.

It looks like the answer to my number 1 and 2 is spelled out in Method 2 of the first Answer in the LIGHTING FAQ's & ANSWERS !!!!! thread. It also looks like the answer to my number 3 is listed in the first post of the Fog Lamp Mod 2001 (1999-2001?) Explorer thread.

Has anyone done these modifications with their 2000 XLT?? How did it go? Were you happy with the outcome?

On a separate note, what's the best upgrade (with regards to light output) under $200 for a 2000 XLT's headlights? I'm considering just slapping in a set of the PIAA Xtreme White Plus 9007 bulbs and being done with it. Thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here is the PIAA website showing the size of the 510s. http://www.piaa.com/Lamps/Lamp-pages/510.html
I dont know for sure if they will fit, but IMO they are great fogs and would be worth the trouble if you had to make the bumper opening a little larger. (Dont know the size of the bumper opening for the lights either.) IMO the 510 SMR would be the way to go. Usually more light with the SMRs.

Yes the links you found should walk you through your requirements for switching and amps/wattage.

I prefer the star white bulbs. Not as much of the blue color that fades in the rain. I cant tell the diff. between PIAA star white & Sylvania Silverstars.

I personally use S. Silverstars & a regular 85 watt bulb in the fogs.

Hope this helps....

It would deffinately work, but how would you mount them?
I was thinking of doing something similar, My fog lights rattle and the brackets dont have much life in them.

My 2000 Sport was a perfect fit for 4" Pilot fogs. I'm running 100W bulbs in them with an aftermarket switch and very happy so far. I did replace the wiring with 14g wires though. But no heat issues and they definitely do a great job. One thing I noticed is that my mounting locations must be a little biased toward the outside of the truck because I'm lighting up the side of the road nicely. Good to see critters and the shoulder.

It would deffinately work, but how would you mount them?
I was thinking of doing something similar, My fog lights rattle and the brackets dont have much life in them.

510_la.gif

Based on PIAA's schematic above, it looks like the light bracket at the back of the lamps can bend 90 degrees. I may have to mount them upside down if the current fogs hang down (can't remember). But mounting them upside down wouldn't affect light output.

My 2000 Sport was a perfect fit for 4" Pilot fogs. I'm running 100W bulbs in them with an aftermarket switch and very happy so far. I did replace the wiring with 14g wires though. But no heat issues and they definitely do a great job. One thing I noticed is that my mounting locations must be a little biased toward the outside of the truck because I'm lighting up the side of the road nicely. Good to see critters and the shoulder.

Glad to know that 4" fogs will fit in stock locations. Thanks, Jeff. Any pictures of the install process and/or how they're mounted currently?

Still just looking to see if anyone has any pictures of aftermarket fog/driving lamps installed in the stock fog locations of a 2000 or so Explorer.

Anyone? Haven't been able to find any.

Any thoughts on swapping out the factory fogs for aftermarket driving lights?

Back in my PIAA days I do remember at least oen or two people mounting the 510's in the stock location, they had to make some brackets for it to mount properly though (the brackets weren't very complex, just a few holes where they attached to the bumper, then an adjustable hole or two for the lamp itself), but it definately doesn't just bolt right in.

Back