• Register Today It's free!

2001 Aftermarket Upgrades

chris chick

Reaction score
City, State
mansfield, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT
Looking for quick updates here on the 2001 Explorer. I'm behind the learning curve here.

I just got rid of my old 93 workhorse with 205K on it. Had almost every exhaust on it, except a Borla. New chip, K&N, GMS Mass Air, throttle body, shocks, the whole nine yards.

What would you guys recommend for upgrades on the 01????

What kind of honest gains can you expect????

thanks,

Chris

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What motor do you have?

That would help wouldn't it. It's the SOHC 4.0L V-6.

A free flowing intake and exhaust are a must. An apten chip and an Explorer Express rear sway bar.

These would be a good start, use the search feature; many, many, threads talk about all of them.

The Mac Intake ($149.95) and our X-Spec Rear Sway Bar ($179.95) would be a great way to start. The Mac Intake would give you a noticable power increase and would impove the looks under the hood. The sway bar upgrade would improve handling and reduce body roll.

Shown here with the Pro-M Mass Air Sensor (optional $224.95).

Attachments

• mac intake 3606 wpro m web.jpg
    mac intake 3606 wpro m web.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 154

the mac definatly helps and it sounds cool too:D

Anyone have an approximate price for the APTEN Chip and best place to purchase.

Never having worked on the 01 is the intake a basic install??

www.apten-us.com they now have flashers where you don't even have to turn a wrench

I would buy the intake first and then the exhaust before the apten chip. But, of course, if you have the dough get all at one shot. :)

Who got that kind of cash lying around.

I like the idea of the intake first and then the exhaust. My first thought is the Flowmaster with the 60 or 70 series muffler. I don't want it to sound like I'm ripping up the pavement, I just want to be able to do it.

Then perhaps this Apten chip after those 2 steps.

Man, it sure was easier on my 94.

well a stock 2001 is able to rip up the pavement after the control trac mod. you can unplug the transfercase harness to give it a shot. if you like it then you put a switch on the brown wire so you can do it whenever you want

Originally posted by Billy177
well a stock 2001 is able to rip up the pavement after the control trac mod. you can unplug the transfercase harness to give it a shot. if you like it then you put a switch on the brown wire so you can do it whenever you want
if im not mistaken Ford got rid of that control-trac BS in 2001.

i awalys thought blackmagic did this mod and he has a 2001 but i may be wrong

Back