• Register Today It's free!

2001 Explorer Fuel Filter

Leota

Reaction score
City, State
OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Eddie Bauer
For over a year my 2001 Explorer would sometimes not start. It turned over well but sounded like it was gasping for air. Usually I could wait a short time and it would start.

The last time it happened, it didn't start after waiting and several attempts. Had it towed. It always started for the mechanic. He changed out the fuel pump and one filter. He said the old one appeared burnt. He was confident that was the problem.

Shortly thereafter it did the same thing. When it did start, it died unless I kept my foot on the gas. Mechanic came out, said there was a more forward filter they didn't replace. He noticed the "low fuel" light was on. I checked and status was "one mile to empty" even though there was about 1/4 tank last time I knew. Figured someone syphoned me dry.

I put two gallons in the tank and the setting won't change. The system is not recognizing the gas in the tank and won't start.

Any ideas why the system doesn't recognize the gas in the tank and would this keep it from starting?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The console miles to empty is slow, my 2001 is the same way, and no it wouldn't, if you switch it on and hear the pump, it's working 99% of the time, I'd have a look at the IAC since it sounds like it's stuck closed, mine did that once, driving it like that sucks too, to test that, is easy, if you hear the pump run, depress the gas pedal slightly and give it air and see if it'll run, that's what I did, and from the initial testing you did, it should be that, it's helpful to be thorough since money don't grow on trees.

The console miles to empty is slow, my 2001 is the same way, and no it wouldn't, if you switch it on and hear the pump, it's working 99% of the time, I'd have a look at the IAC since it sounds like it's stuck closed, mine did that once, driving it like that sucks too, to test that, is easy, if you hear the pump run, depress the gas pedal slightly and give it air and see if it'll run, that's what I did, and from the initial testing you did, it should be that, it's helpful to be thorough since money don't grow on trees.
Thanks. I researched the iac after reading your message and that sounds about right. I told the mechanic it sounds like it's gasping for air, but since it didn't happen when he had it, he went right to replacing the fuel pump. I'll talk to him about this.
I'm still perplexed about why the system isn't recognizing the gas in the tank and thinks it's empty.

It’s possible he messed up hooking the wiring on the pump, or he used a cheap sending unit, and it’s not working properly.

If your gas tank was pretty much totally empty 2 gallons probably isn't enough to register on the fuel gauge or console readout, especially if your truck is parked on a slight downhill grade. This is because the pickup and float is located in the rear of the fuel tank. This condition will also cause your truck to not start. I'd suggest putting in at least 5 gallons more fuel.

As far as your mechanic not installing a new fuel filter when he installed your new fuel pump (the thing in the tank is not a filter, just a strainer)... I'd find a new mechanic, because you should always replace the fuel filter when you install a new fuel pump. If you don't your warranty is void.

Back