2001 Explorer Sport 4.0L Cold weather problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 Explorer Sport 4.0L Cold weather problem

bigmooke

Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer Sport
I have a 2001 Explorer w/ 4.0 L V6. We had a night in January when the temperature outside dropped to about -11F. My son went to leave work and when he went to start the engine it started, shot up to about 3000 RPM and stalled. It did this 5-6 times. He finally gave up and called home for a ride. After we had it towed home, it did the same until the temperature got up above freezing. It then started, idled high for a few minutes and then it was fine.. We put some dry gas along with an injector cleaner and filled the tank up. It was fine until last night. The temp outside was down to 10-12 degrees and the same thing happened again. It is 29 out now and it started. My son says it has emitted a 'funky' smell when he tries to start it and now it is fine. It is idling at about 1400 rpm but otherwise it seems ok.
Can anyone offer me any insights into this problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The idle came down to 500-600 rpm after it warmed up.

My '97 Sport did the same thing last winter and this winter. I have been able to easily get around the problem by tapping the throttle occasionally for the first minute or so after starting to keep the engine running. After this first minute or so the idle will stabilize. I usually just start it and go. After driving about one block the idle stabilizes. The problem does not occur when the temperature is above 25 or 30 degrees.

I have not tried to fix mine yet but suspect that the idle air bypass may be the culprit.

It could be an intake vacuum leak issue as well.

I had a similar problem - replaced intake gaskets.

Try a search of this forum.

I had the same issue a couple years ago...same engine but was also getting the check engine light with the exhaust/sensor error codes. Cleaned the MAF sensor as well as using the SeaFoam in the intake, IAC... which you can find more info about by searching the forums. Ultimately the intake manifold gaskets were the problem. I tend to "over" research the issue beforehand(Blessing and Curse:)), but apparently this is a more than common problem on this model/engine...that and the driver side 'Gangsta Lean' from the rear leaf springs!!!:) Good Luck...

Back