2001 Explorer Stalled | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 Explorer Stalled

ozexplorer01

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Here's the situation. My missus owns a 2001 Explorer 4.0 Auto and last night she was driving home from work, when her car stalled and wouldn't start again. She told me that she was cruising along and the battery light came up on the dash followed by the "check gauge" light. Then it stalled. It cranks over but wont start. I figure it's one of two problems. Fuel or spark. Today I checked the fuses, they're fine. I pulled the fuel filter. It seems that the previous mechanic couldn't work out how to get the filter off and there was evidence that he had used pliers to try to force it. I managed to free one line with a special tool I purchased but when I came to remove the other side, the filter had been that abused that the end of the filter snapped off inside the line! :mad:. After a few select words I managed to get the broken piece of filter out and installed the new shiny one. Also the colour of the petrol coming from the old filter was black with large nasty chunks in it.
I tried starting again with fingers crossed. Still no luck. I cannot hear whether or not the fuel pump is working.
Also when you are cranking the 4x4 lights will flick on for a split second and the check gauge light will come on. Oil pressure looks normal. About 1/4 of a tank of fuel left.

The missus usually sits and warms it up while she does her makeup and often it stalls as she's about to leave. Idle is a bit rough. On the odd occassion that I drive it I notice that when you put your foot on the brakes (or slowing down) it will surge and lurch forwards.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Put the window down & stand outside the truck. Reach in and turn the key to on (not start). The pump sould prime for a few seconds (sounds like a high pitched whine). If you dont hear anything, try your ear next to wheel well under the gas cap and have the wife turn the key to on (do not try to start). Still no sound? Fuel pump is dead.

As RomeovileIl stated, you need to confirm if the FP is working. If you don't hear it prime, check the fuel pump relay located in the power distribution box. Also make sure the inertia switch isn't tripped.

Thanks for the help guys. I had it a tow truck tow it home (was a bit hard to diagnose on the side of the road by myself.) Had the missus turn the key on with me near the tank and couldn't hear anything. Checked the relays/fuses and inertia trip switch. All good. Installed a new pump and she runs like a champ again, although I had a bit of a scare for a minute! :(
After paying $215 :)australia) for a new pump and installing it, I had the missus give it a try as I listened near the tank for the new pump to fire up. But when she turned it on the car wouldn't fire and I couldn't hear the pump working!!:wtf: After scratching my head for a minute I realised that I had left the inertia switch in the off position!! D'oh!!! :eek:

Back