2001 Front Seat Replacement / Air Bag Light | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 Front Seat Replacement / Air Bag Light

wrbrower

Reaction score
City, State
Portland Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 EB 4x4
The front leather seats in my EB are killing my back. I located a set of front cloth seats that I know will be better. ( I ran 1997 cloths in my 1991 Explorer for years).

My main question is will pulling these seats trip my air bag warning indicator?

The reason I ask is I had a 2003 Ford Taurus and I went from cloth to leather seats. The newer air bag systems have sensors hooked to the receiver part of the seat belts to sense occupant weight and momentum in an accident. After that I was stuck with the air bag light.

I don't want to repeat that on my Explorer.

So....

Is there a way to keep from triggering what the system sees as an intermittent open

...or...

If it is inevitable does anyone know about resetting the air bag system.

Or (yes, another one), was my problem possibly not that the air bag system saw and open but are the parts matched between the air bag controller and sensors?

Thanks everyone! Bill

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thank you for the reply.

I'll have to read up on this more later.

No. You should not have a problem.

And for the record, the seat sensor for the airbags is, in fact, IN the seat itself.

-Joe

No. You should not have a problem.

And for the record, the seat sensor for the airbags is, in fact, IN the seat itself.

-Joe

It was no problem, thanks.

Here's what was weird, I found the yellow wire harness that goes to the seat from the chassis. I unplugged it going "hear we go again". When I finally got the seat out I found that the only thing on the seat in the air bags circuit looked like a loopback plug, no real electronics that I could see.

The '03 Taurus had what I refer to as a tug sensor on the anchor portion of the seat belt. The '01 Explorer does not, but the yellow plug still confuses me, but no air bags light and I have a more comfortable seat so I am happy.

Thank you everyone, Bill

Back