2001 Sport Hard Start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 Sport Hard Start

TCHEXPLORER

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport
I just got a 2001 Sport for my sons first car and I am having hard start problems just like several threads I have seen. Once, the truck starts, it runs great. If you turn the truck off after it has started running smoothly, it will start right away for about the first 2-3 minutes. After that, it goes back to the hard start condition. I have checked the fuel pressure and get about 62psi when running. the instant I turn off the vehicle, pressure drops to zero within 10 to 20 seconds. My guess is that the check valve in the fuel tank is bad. If it was an injector leaking I don't think it would drop that quickly, and you would probably see smoke when it did start. I forgot to mention that the check engine light stays off most of the time. Has anyone tried putting a check valve in the line outside the tank? I really don't want to drop the tank and replace the whole fuel pump if I can avoid it.

When the CEL illuminates, grab an OBDII code reader/puller and see what you got. No use replaing unneccessary parts blindly. The code should point you in the right direction.

Back