2001 Explorer Sport Hard Start

Sooperbohl

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle Wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport 4 x 4
Greetings from Seattle,

I have a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport (4.0 SOHC). In the mornings, the car seems to have a hard time starting. I usually have to hit the ingnition switch several times to get it started. Every once in a while, when it does, and goes down below 1000 rpm's, the engine will stall. I have to go through the process several times and let it run for a bit to get it to stay started. After this process, it starts no problem throughout the day. Sometimes it starts with no issues though it does sound like the start is labored. I am looking for any advise on where I should start to look at the potential issue here. The car has about 95,000 miles on it. New plugs, fuel filter and has generally been pretty reliable.

Sincerely,

Soop

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

might sound silly, but how old is your battery? i have a 90 ranger as well as my sport. when i bought a new battery for both, i thought the starter was going to spin out of the trans! check your voltage on your battery before you start it in the morning, and see what the voltage is. you might just have a weak battery.

I had a similar issue on a '99 sport and the problem ended up being the Idle Air Control Valve. Replaced it myself and it only cost about $60 from the local auto parts store.

Thanks guys for the tips.

Did This Fix the issue??

I have the same problem, same vehicle, 2001 Sport 4.0 SOHC I got some info from the autozone website that stated this:

1.Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
2.Disengage the wiring harness connector from the IAC valve .
3.Using an ohmmeter, measure the resistance between the terminals of the valve.
4.Due to the diode in the solenoid, place the ohmmeter positive lead on the VPWR terminal and the negative lead on the ISC terminal.(see Ex.)
5.If the resistance is not 7-13 ohms, replace the IAC valve.

I did all that and it was reading about 10ohms so i Figured this was not my issue. So I am wondering if this infact did fix your issue, Please let me know.

Heres my post with details of my issue:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273054

Hey there R,

My battery was getting to be pretty old. I was sure it was going to need to be replaced soon. Went to Les Schwab and had them test it for me. I just drove several miles to get to the store. Im sure the battery was pretty charged up at that time. Considering the age of the battery (6 years), they said it was still good. My problem always happened in the morning after the car sat for a while. After driving to work, the car started fine with an occasional starting problem. New battery and cleaning the IAF seemed to have done the trick for me. My Explorer Sport has been a very dependable vechicle for me at only 95,000 miles. Did you ever resolve your issue?

Soop

I never cleaned the IAC, I metered it out and it was in range to Specs. So, i need to pull it off and clean it out.

explorer sport trac intermittent hard start

I had the same problem with my 01 sport trac. I had it diagnosed and heres what they came up with. Most likely the valve position sensor, which is extremely easy to do yourself. If not that then the mass air flow sensor. I just replaced the valve position sensor today and Ill see what happens.

I had the same problem with my 01 sport trac. I had it diagnosed and heres what they came up with. Most likely the valve position sensor, which is extremely easy to do yourself. If not that then the mass air flow sensor. I just replaced the valve position sensor today and Ill see what happens.

Do you mean cam position sensor?

nope. valve position sensor or dpfe sensor. Didn't end up being the problem. Just pulled and cleaned the mass air flow sensor today so Ill see if that works.

alright wasn't anything listed above. it finally didn't start so I brought it to a midas and they found the problem. its called a fuel pulse damper and its expensive. It solved all my running issues though.. hope this was helpfull it was a long and painfull problem for me.

A what? Gotta photo of this animal or a part number? maybe that's their term for something else..........

The fuel pulse dampener is on the fuel rail itself I believe. If I'm not mistaken its the round piece towards the end of the rail. Least thats what it looked like on the old hondas I used to work on. Could be wrong. Haven't done anything like that in a couple of years now

That's what it says !! Never had any trouble from one.

FuelPulseDamper.gif

fuel pulse dampner

Hey could someone repost a picture of the fuel pulse dampner?

fuel pulse dampner

Is it called a different name? I can not seem to find it listed as a fuel pulse dampner.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is it called a different name? I can not seem to find it listed as a fuel pulse dampner.

I am not sure, but it may be part of the fuel rail assembly.

Back