2001 SPORT TRAC engine swap: you use a standard 4.0 explorer engine? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 SPORT TRAC engine swap: you use a standard 4.0 explorer engine?

polhovsky

Reaction score
I just purchased a 01 Ford Explorer with a "seized" engine. Prior to purchasing I thought it would be an easy swap, because the EXP 4.0 motors are a dime a dozen. HOWEVER, I am not sure the the EXPLORER 4.0 and EXPLORER SPORT TRAC 4.0 have the same engine? Is this correct? Can a SPORT TRAC take a standard EXP motor. If not, what are the limitations? I have seen a lot of motors on Ebay, stipulating 01 4.0 motor VIN "E", EXCEPT sport trac. Is this correct. Does anyone have any knowledge on this and has anyone tried this? Please send some answers/ideas.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

there was a job 1 and job 2 sport trac in 2001 with some minor changes in the 4.0, not sure if there is electrical hook up changes in the two but the pvc valve is changed, the oil fill is on the other side. So I think you might need to see which one you have.

Check the door sticker and post the date of manufacture. Where are you located? Any where near NC? I have an '01 Job 2 motor.

It depends. Earlier Explorers have a 4.0 OHV engine and later ones have a 4.0 SOHC and for a few years you could get both. All '01-'05 Sport Tracs have the 4.0 SOHC engine.

I have an 02 Explorer 4.0 SOHC donor engine low milage ran good, I'm putting in a 01 Sport that had a bad SOHC 4.0 engine. Can I use my 01 wiring harness on the 02 engine? The 02 engine wiring harness was cut up too bad to use. Anyone know where the 02 and 01 differ? Thanks Stefin

01 had a cut off in july for job 1 vs. job 2. job 2 has passenger side oil fill and job 1 is on drivers side. thats the easiest way to tell the difference.

Will the 02 4.0 Sohc engine fit as a plug and play into the 2001 Sport?

as long as your 01 has the job 2 it should

Back