2001 ST SOHC Thermostat housing P/N's and alternate sealing methods | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 ST SOHC Thermostat housing P/N's and alternate sealing methods

Team Chepsk8

Reaction score
City, State
Easton PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport Trak
Definitely have my second housing leaking top and bottom. Will have to remove it.

Two areas I would like forum member input:

1 - Which plastic replacement assembly seems to work best? I am looking for specific part numbers. Did some research, seems the Dorman brand has an updated bottom O-ring? Please tell me what specific brand and part number has worked in stopping the seepage.

2 - If you are creative, stubborn, and cheap (like me), did you try alternate methods of sealing the plastic parts to the manifold, and to each other?

A - At the bottom of the housing which feeds into the engine, could the O-ring area be filled, and sanded smooth, and a traditional gasket be created and used for a better and more secure seal? Has anyone tried this?

B - At the bottom seal area, has anyone ground the O-ring area out to fit a regular round O-ring, and filled in the area that the upper part of the rubber band O-ring used to go? This method would result in a traditional O-ring seal. Has anyone tried this?

C - In the seal in the thermostat area, at the location of the thermostat, lower, and upper sections, many also seep. Has anyone machined surfaces, added a gasket, thicker O-ring, or other methods to improve the seal there?

D - I do not trust that sonic seal crap when the two helves of the lower housing are sealed by the manufacturer. Has anyone done any additional sealing?

Obviously, I do not believe in simple parts replacement when the entire design is flawed. I would like to effect a seal which works, and is a method that is known to work. Throwing money and parts is not the way I fix. I look for fix the cause, not the symptom.

Yes, the aluminum housing could work, but my truck has 225,000 miles, still runs great, but that is an expense I have a hard time approving. So, I do know of it, please do not make that the reason you reply.

I want to see creativity, ingenuity, and results.

Many thanks!

Dan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

And for those that have used the Dorman 902-204, can you specifically list the upgrades? I did see the better bottom O-ring, what else was improved? How did it work for you? Did you add any sealant or something to help seal it?

I used the 1 piece housing with thermostat already installed from rockauto.com. I'll list part # after I find it. They also started metal housings, I read about them on here and over on mysporttrac.com. I'll try to find part #'s soon. swhawaii will probably list them and the links before I get a chance to find them.

Got a Dorman "improved" replacement, will install to keep the truck on the road.

But, will work on the last housing, and modify it as I outlined above to see if I can fix the weak points.

Plan is to:
A) Fill in and smooth out bottom face, Make a traditional gasket, and seal it to the manifold in the regular way which does work
B) Clean up and grind down the assembly seal between the two halves of the housing, and seal with an epoxy or JB weld, trying to permanently seal up the housing.
C) Find a way to make the upper thermostat housing/Hose mount seal better

Open to opinions on these ideas

There is a new cast aluminum version that has been made buy a guy. He sells them on ebay for 175 but if you paypal him directly it's only $150 I think. If I had to replace one it would be the way I would go.

Just finally swapped in the Dorman replacement, see how it holds up. I did add some sealant at the base O-ring and at the thermostat housing split.

My 2nd assembly removed easilly thanks to using anti-seize on all screws. I will now start to work on it so it is ready.

I did see the aluminum assembly, but cannot justify the cost.

I just dis-assembled and cleaned the second assembly, a Dorman, and found the following:

Main body seam split and leaking in a few sections of the "sonic weld"
Bottom O-ring squashed and leaking
larger sensor Brass threaded insert leaking
Thermostat upper housing leaking at O-ring (possible O-ring failure due to shape)

So will now do the modifications I planned above, and have this one at the ready.

Back