2001 steering and ignition won't unlock after shift tube replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 steering and ignition won't unlock after shift tube replacement

Chuckpuk

Reaction score
City, State
Allentown
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport 4wd
I replaced a broken shifter tube on my 2001 Explorer Sport 4wd without any complications until it was all closed up. Now the wheel is locked and the key wont turn but triggers the Theft light on the instrument panel.
To try to locate the source of that problem, I again removed the tube to double check the installation alignment, and reinstalled it. The wheel and ignition remained locked. I repeated the install/reinstall again without any improvement.

I can't find any good diagrams of the full column. I don't know if I josseled something like the steering lock pin or maybe bumped one of the many wires in there.

the tube replacement became necessary a few days ago. After a brief stop at a store. The shifter stopped engaging the ttansmissiom.
In checking likely problems I discovered one of the wings in the back of the shifter tube has cracked off where a bolt connects it to the armature that directly moves the cable to the automatic transmission. Needing to remove the truck from the parlig lot, I disconnected the armature and used my hand to pull the cable into drive to get the truck home.

To remove and replace the shifter tube I followed forum guidance and lowered the whole steering column to get access to 7 T30-head bolts that hold the tube in place. I did that move carefully because of all the wiring in the column, including, of course, anti Theft elements and the steering actuator and locking mechanism..

Relevant background information information is that there were anti Theft glitches with the vehicle in the past and this shifting problem followed other less severe issue such as a sticky and difficult shift control arm.

Does anyone have an idea what's happening and how to fix it?
Thanks,
Chuck

Back