2001 XLT stereo wiring harness woes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 XLT stereo wiring harness woes

zatoichi

Reaction score
City, State
Upstate NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 XLT
Im looking to add an aftermarket head unit to 2001 explorer xlt. I have the double din cd/tape player. I cannot find a wiring harness, and I dont want to go chopping the factory wiring. I do not have the subwoofer. The factory harness is 2 plugs. I dont remember the pins counts but one plug is unique; it has 3 rows of pins and is almost square in shape. if need be ill try to get some pics up.

If I am not mistaken that little sqare plug is for the sub. I know you do not have one but the factory puts it in their any way. Ignore it and just use the larger one. If install the radio and get nothing fron the speakers you may have a premium sound systom. Good luck

If I am not mistaken that little sqare plug is for the sub. I know you do not have one but the factory puts it in their any way. Ignore it and just use the larger one. If install the radio and get nothing fron the speakers you may have a premium sound systom. Good luck

The square plug is for the rear seat controls, if you install an aftermarket head unit just leave that one unplugged. This is the wiring harness you need.

thx for the help guys, got the right one! does anyone know how the rear defrost is wired? I have a pioneer avh 4000 that has the parking break wire and i saw the someone defeated the protection by hooking it to the rear defrost wiring( a white and black wire) but mine does not have that. so i would need to know what wire gets interrupted when its switched on and is grounded when its off.

Back