2002-05 Positive feedback | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002-05 Positive feedback

Bought a 4X4 XLT w/the 4L V6 new in 1994. Drove it for 320K w/ no engine or tranny probs. MPG was 20 combined. Flushed the tranny every 60K, replaced a few wheel bearings, two pinion seals. The 4WD never failed, the engine never failed, never had the heads off. When I finally sold it, it was still running well enough to be a daily driver.

My daughter had a 1996 V8 w/AWD. It was very reliable. It got about 16 mpg combined.

I recently bought a 2004 2WD w/ 140K, SOHC V6. Has tranny probs (hard shifting) and the ubiquitous broken lift gate piece, more power and lower mpg (abt 16 combined) than my 94. I'm getting the tranny fixed, but for the rest of it...time will tell.

The folks on here are very knowledgeable and experienced, and always willing to help. Ask them anything....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks, I'm learning a lot from reading here. I started this to get an idea of how many good experiences there are.

I was really hoping to see more positive responses here.

There are loads of positive responses. They're just for the V8.

I bought my '02 V6 two years ago when it had 144K miles and have since put on another 20k. The previous owner replaced the transmission twice and this third one is holding up well. Never had any engine problems, only replaced two front wheel bearings which were bad when I bought it. I haven't had nearly as many problems as others on the board have but am fully aware of what COULD go wrong and will probably trade it for something else in the next couple years or so. It's been a very good, reliable vehicle (knock on wood).

I was really hoping to see more positive responses here.

There are positive's for the 3rd Generation Explorer's as well as their share of negatives, but as far as the load of positives coming just for the V-8's, thats BS. Both the V-6's and V-8's have exactly the same types of problems, behind dash heat/temp issues, door ajar/door lock, transmissions, differentials, wheel bearings, timing chain problems, crappy factory CD/stereo's, etc. I read a ton of posts in here all the time and I see the same types of problems in both engine sizes. The only benefit I see in the V-8 over the V-6 is it has a little more power than the V-6 and gets around the same MPG. The 2002 V-8's are known to blow spark plugs out of the cylinder heads. The 2002's are the first year of this generation Explorer and appear to have more problems in them than the 2004's and 2005's. Supposedly, Ford corrected some of the problems in the later year models. What it comes down to when buying one of these Explorers is, how well it was maintained prior to you, how well you looked it over and how lucky you are that none of these common problems happen with your new Explorer. It''s a crap shoot. When they run right, these Explorers are a nice looking and nice driving vehicle. Also, I previously owned a 1992 Ford Explorer 4.0L V-6 4x4 from new, and drove it daily for 12 years thru snowy, salty road winters and hauled a 4,500lb boat and trailer with it and it never gave me any major problems or left me stranded by the side of the road. Besides normal maintenance repairs like brakes and rotors, plugs and wires,muffler etc, all I had to do to it was replace valve cover gaskets and one 4x4 hub. The body finally rotted out on it,but around here in our winters, thats normal after 12 years. Good luck if you decide to buy one.

Yepper, I've been reading a lot and learning a lot. They have their advantages and drawbacks. I sure do know when I look for one, I'm going to do everything I can to get service records. I will say though, that looking at autotrader and ebay and craigslist, there are a lot of them, and a lot of them with over 100K miles too, and holding up pretty well. Thanks for the advise.

I'm happy with my v6. So far no issues with the engine (knock on wood). Although I had to replace the tranny a couple of years ago under warrenty thank goodness... And the blend door issue as well. It has about 160 km on it now. I agree with exproblems, V8 aren't above the common issues.

Yepper, I've been reading a lot and learning a lot. They have their advantages and drawbacks. I sure do know when I look for one, I'm going to do everything I can to get service records. I will say though, that looking at autotrader and ebay and craigslist, there are a lot of them, and a lot of them with over 100K miles too, and holding up pretty well. Thanks for the advise.

I think I read in here where someone mentioned that Ford sold over 1 million, 3rd generation Explorers. I see a bunch of 2nd, 3rd and 4th generation Explorer's on the road where I live nearly everyday. Popular vehicles.

Me too. We have a number of Ford dealerships in our area. My thought is, we see the problem ones here, but how many of those 1 million are running trouble free? I was looking into the trans issue here on this board last night, and noticed someone posted a link to Fords website for service intervals. Online, Ford says now to change the fluid and filter ever 30K for normal and towing duties (Not 150K). It seems that the people who are doing this, even every 50K aren't having many problems with their trannies.

I was looking into the trans issue here on this board last night, and noticed someone posted a link to Fords website for service intervals. Online, Ford says now to change the fluid and filter ever 30K for normal and towing duties (Not 150K). It seems that the people who are doing this, even every 50K aren't having many problems with their trannies.

Right, on the 30K tranny fluid change. Most in here will tell you it is better to change the fluid every 30K(just the pan fluid) and install a new filter as well. These tranny's seem to last longer doing that than the ones that haven't changed the fluid and drove to higher miles un-touched. From new and un-touched, these trannys seem to crap out in the 60k-100k mileage range. The key to them is fresh fluid.

I have an '02 V6 with about 165k miles that I bought new and we have been blessed with no engine or transmission problems (fluid changed at 80 or 90k and just recently). The problems I've had have mainly just been annoyances and not even due to the 4.0L. Mine has plenty of power for daily driving and we've used it occasionally to tow a small 5x8 trailer, so if you're not going to pull anything heavy, it'll be fine. I've changed 3 of 4 wheel bearings. One rear was repaired under warranty and the front-right and rear-left I did myself with the front being on par with a brake job and the rear has the extra step of having a shop press off the bearing. My only regret is buying the 1st year of a generation change (which is true for any car mfr.) The rear hatch panel breakage and my paint peeling (black) I consider to be unacceptable. P.S. No matter which engine you go with, stick with Motorcraft or NGK spark plugs...just learned the hard way.

Back