• Register Today It's free!

2002-2005 Explorer LCA

03Explo20

Reaction score
City, State
Jonestown, Pa.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT
Anyone here ever have to change out a lower control arm? If so, could you post a "how to" quick reply here to match what I'm going to do below? I have to change out the passenger side arm as the bushings and ball joint are bad. I bought the whole arm from Moog for $90 so instead of having to dick around with ball joint tools and machine shops for the bushings, I'm just going to change out the whole arm.

Looks easy enough.......
Remove stabilizer links...
Remove lower strut bolt...
Remove lower ball joint nut and break BJ free...
Remove lower control arm to frame bolts...

My Explo is a 4x4 and I'm hearing the CV joint has to be positioned a certain way to get the arm off???

Any help or advice, guys, would be appreciated!

I tried this repair myself today and I'll give you a hint as to how it went...

I live in Pennsylvania!!!

Yeah, bolts rusted on and unremovable!!! I did everything to get that front bolt and nut off and nothing worked. That ******* is frozen on there solid! I used heat, massive breaker bars attached to my wrenches, cans of PB Blaster, hammers... Nothing got that damn bolt to move! I finally gave up, put it back together, and will live with the noises! Amazon is charging no fees to return the arm so I'm happy that things will be back to where they started!

Oh, I did make a video to help everyone here who wanted to attempt this repair on your own but it's full of expletives and not much help! :)

Guys, I forgot to mention I broke the bolt plate that holds the lower strut mount nut on the LCA and prevents it from spinning while tightening or loosening. Is this the part that I would need?

465e7309e79385a448dd1d34d1e45059.jpg

Back