2002 4.0 info needed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 4.0 info needed

Delta Dog

Reaction score
City, State
Gulf Coast
Hey All,

I have been hanging around the 1995-2001 guys since I have a 2000 explorer but am contemplating buying a second one........a 2002 4.0L Eddie Bauer 4x4.

On the '95-'01 side I read a lot about 4.0 issues like timing chains, guides and other issues in general. What are some of the major issues with this 2002 year model with a 4.0L engine to look for before the purchase??

The vehicle has 91,000 miles.

Thanks.........

Oh........and I have not seen a 2002-2005 with a V8.......is it even an option in these years?? If so what V8.....the 5.0L like the older ones???

Hey All,

I have been hanging around the 1995-2001 guys since I have a 2000 explorer but am contemplating buying a second one........a 2002 4.0L Eddie Bauer 4x4.

On the '95-'01 side I read a lot about 4.0 issues like timing chains, guides and other issues in general. What are some of the major issues with this 2002 year model with a 4.0L engine to look for before the purchase??

The vehicle has 91,000 miles.

Thanks.........

Oh........and I have not seen a 2002-2005 with a V8.......is it even an option in these years?? If so what V8.....the 5.0L like the older ones???

With a 2002...I wouldn't really be focused on the motor having issues, rather the chassis itself. The 2002's have the most issues of all of the 3rd Gens.

The V8 offered in the 02-05 is the 4.6L, same motor they use in a lot of the Ford fleet.

A very common issue to look for on the 2002's is broken rear coil springs, they are notorious for breaking. Ford fixed that issue in the 2003+ years. Just poke around on the forum here for a few pages, you'll get an idea of what to look for on these. :thumbsup:

I personally would go with anything that's a 2003+

I bought a 02 with 75K on the clock from a private party.He had a 75K warranty and had all the records. The timing chain had already been done along with rear seals and several other things. It had trailer tow but was never used at all. Trailering can be hard on them. I would look for one where you can get all the service records and then put it up on a rack where you can check out springs,suspension,etc. Differentials have also been a problem so you want one that has been serviced regularly. I had a local garage change the brakes and I put on all new belts plugs pvc and all fluids and I have been very happy with the truck.

Back