2002 "DOOR AJAR" which door, how do I narrow it down? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 "DOOR AJAR" which door, how do I narrow it down?

Recoil Rob

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
Have read most of the threads and looked at the videos about changing the actuator but nothing on how to find out which door it is without having a diagnostics computer.

I had the problem a few years back and the rust penetrant/WD40 trick worked. Now, while driving, the DOOR AJAR goes on and off, the tone chimes. Sometimes I lock the truck and 2 minutes later the alarm goes off.

Last night I locked it and then the dome light must have come on and killed the battery.

Can't figure out how to narrow it down to which door is the issue. I tried spraying them all, no dice.

thanks,

Rob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah, that's not going to work since the fault is the DOOR AJAR light is always on with all doors closed.

drive it until the interior light goes off, then park and open the driver door, if it chimes then it's ok otherwise it's bad. Drive the car again and choose a different door to check.

Yeah, that's not going to work since the fault is the DOOR AJAR light is always on with all doors closed.

No offense to other replies, but I'll bet a bottom dollar that it's your back passenger door wiring, probably a broken wire at the connector.

If we are doing bets, I got 5 that says its the driver door wiring gone bad. It's the driver door that gets the most use so it is most likely to have wiring get cracked/ go bad on it. You should check out this vid too:

Yep, saw that vid. I have a new driver door switch, will be doing surgery Sat. afternoon.

I drove with random chimes and door locks locking/unlocking at every other bump for 1.5 years. Tried wd-40, and even 2x went searching for bad wires per Big Rondo's link 2002 Ford Explorer door ajar and alarm problem.
Finally discovered a short in the wiring for the window portion of the rear door hatch and it has been peaceful ever since.
Good luck with your searching, I hope you find the problem sooner that I did.

Just checking in, didn't get a chance to do the work until today.

Turns out it was the switch was stuck open. Just got done replacing it, worst part was getting the latch mechanism out of the door, not much on the old interweb about that.

Not too bad, use an inspection mirror to see how the linkages are attached. You'll also need the T27 Torx bit, I used it in a hex drive impact wrench to get the latch and window guide out, they are in there with blue Loctite. Also need 5.5mm and 6mm sockets, a small light to put in the door helps.

Back in operation, thanks for the help.

Back