• Register Today It's free!

2002 Explorer 4.6 to 07 4.6

cobra1379

Reaction score
City, State
Owensboro ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 ford explorer
I have an 02 explorer with a 4.6 in it thats on its last leg. My buddy has a 4.6 long block out of an 07 explorer that I can put in it. Would it be a pretty simple swap or am I going to have issuses with the intake and computer??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

07 is 4.6 3 valve while yours is a 4.6 2 valve. You would be better off finding a 4.6 2 valve engine to replace it. Major headache involved with getting the 3 valve to work.

So more than just an intake adapter then??

LOADS more, new igniton, new wiring harness, new computer... HUGE pain in the rear.

Lock out the timing on the 07 engine, then find an 06-09 Explorer intake. Thats all you need. The Mustang guys have been swapping 3V heads onto 2V shortblocks, locking out timing, and gaining alot of power. Look on corral.net or moddedmustangs.com for ideas and maybe a how-to.

lock out timing?

I dont think hes looking to be a modder, i think he just wants to replace his engine. Though if i was going to do another engine swap, you can bet your ass it would be a 5.4L 4v DOHC... and twin turbos :).

I thought I heard that the you could swap your upper(H/C/I) to go directly onto a new 4.6 block since they were pretty much the same. But if you are wanting the 3V stuff, you will be in for more of a challenge.

Here is a thread were someone took a 2V motor and put 3V stuff on it. So in other words, you should be able to get the 3V motor and put your 2V stuff on it and reinstall:D

http://www.bmcforums.com/showthread.php?t=24369

lock out timing?

I dont think hes looking to be a modder, i think he just wants to replace his engine. Though if i was going to do another engine swap, you can bet your ass it would be a 5.4L 4v DOHC... and twin turbos :).

Its not really a mod per say, but making the 3v stuff work with the 2v computer.

Here's something simular to what I'm talking about. http://www.brenspeed.com/5449.html

Back