2002 Explorer 4wd lower ball joint replacement - Removal of front shaft? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Explorer 4wd lower ball joint replacement - Removal of front shaft?

DidiDavis

Reaction score
City, State
Davis, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Hey guys, I searched through the forum and have not found a definite answer. I need to replace my front lower and upper ball joints. The car is a 2002 Explorer 4wd.

There's a great write up for lower ball joints in a 2wd. Is it the same procedure for a 4wd? Do I have to remove the front shaft?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for replying EasyRhino. I'm actually asking about the lower ball joints replacement in a 4wd. I've read through the post you've mentioned, and there's no mention to the lower ball joints. Some people have replaced them, but they didn't say anything about the axle.

Thanks

You dont have to remove complete axle. Just hang it or tie it out of your way when pressing them in and out.

Thanks, that's what I needed to know! I'll tackle this tomorrow if my pollen allergy allows me to. Not so funny outdoors when you're sniffing your lungs out....

What is the torque specs for the lower ball joint. Thanks in advance.

Back