2002 Explorer E/B Leaking moonroof | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Explorer E/B Leaking moonroof

NEWFS02X

Reaction score
City, State
Manitoba,Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 E/B 4x4
Moonroof on my 02 Eb is leaking as water is dripping from the rear ac dial area in the middle of the roof behind the front seats.Checked the drain holes and they are clear. I dropped the headliner from the rear to the front and I found out where the dripping originated. Looking at the rear of the moonroof housing where the rear drain holes are, there is a joint where the metal overlaps on the lower portion of the 'catch basin' about 2-3 inches inward of each drain tube attachment point. It's coming from there. I see the seal which slips onto the upper portion of the housing and seals to the roof. It's not coming out of there. It's leaking at the very bottom where the metal overlaps. Any idea what could be leaking inside? Obviously there's another seal inside there somewhere. Anyone lower that housing down before. I have the headliner dropped to just above the front seat headrests and I can see that it glued to a sort of blocking on each side above the driver and the passenger. The blocking is also glued to the roof it appears. Any help would be appreciated. New to the forum and looking forward to helping others out as well. I have a mechanical background and restore older mustangs ......thanks.......

It could be that some of your seals are creating precipitation and the glue not installed properly. those could be the problems causing it to leak.

this may be out of proportion but anyone can tell me how to remove a sunroof/moonroof from a 96 xlt?

btw its a stock part and is powered.

thanx in advance

Found the problem. I opened the sunroof and poured a jug of water slowly into the channel to see if the drain tubes were plugged. On the passenger side water slowly dripped from the seam where the two pieces of metal overlap. Seems as though Ford built the tray that houses the drain tubes in several pieces. These pieces overlap and I'm not sure if a sealer was used from inside the tray but something must have been placed at the seams to ensure water doesn't leak. So, utilizing rain gutter clear silicone sealant, I caulked the seams on the outside at the joins, allowed it to set up and tried the water again....no drips. Headliner is now back up in place and problem should be solved. ...........John

Back