2002 Explorer Eddie Bauer Subwoofer questions. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Explorer Eddie Bauer Subwoofer questions.

weaponx2o7j

Reaction score
City, State
anchorage alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 eddie bauer
Okay this may have been covered already in a previous post, but i couldn't find the answers.
I have a 2002 Explorer Eddie Bauer with the 3rd row seat. I am thinking i have the factory subwoofer because on the right side next to the 3rd row there is a body panel with what looks like a speaker vent. It's about 2 feet long and about 6 inches high. I bought it from someone who had already put a after market cd player in it. So i don't think he hooked up the sub to the new stereo cause i don't hear it.
My question is, how do i get under that panel to see for sure? i was going to put in an actual sub box with an amp. but i might be able to just put in a JL audio 8W7 or something with a beefier amp.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

all I can offer is that you are right, it sounds like the factory sub cover. Dunno how to pop it loose though. :/ I can say that the amp is bolted to the sub enclosure, and its' a small speaker.

You figure it out, tell the rest of us

shawn

open the rear hatch, pull the top and bottom trims off, then you want to unbolt the third row seat belt, and both of the pillar trims. then unbolt the bottom seat belt mount for the 2nd row. there are two tabs on the seat bottom, push those to the side and pull the bottom cushion out. then the whole side panel will come off. just pull. take the sub enclosure off using the tree 10mm nuts, (the back of the sub is bolted to the box) amp is the small silver box, may be attached to the enclosure.

box can be modified to fit a 10 inch sub if you trim carefully and use fiberglass to build up and smooth it out.

also if you get a smaller sized sub you can put it in the storage area behind the third seat.

oh i think its a torx 45 you need, get one for a 3/8 in drive wrench.

which area behind the 3rd row do you mean? The little area where you access the crank for the spare tire? that doesn't seem big enough to get a sub in, even a 8inch one. But i like the idea of swapping the puny factory 8 inch and putting in a 10 inch. that would open it up for more options with amps and sub combinations.
The Torx 45 is the bit i need for the seat belt bolt right?

the area where the jack is, is good for a small amp. sub is under passenger cup holder for third row.

i got a 12 to fit behind my 3rd row. theres about a foot between the 3rd row and the hatch, so if u angle it right you can fit it back there comfortably. i have an alpine type r in there right now even though my pic shows an old school rockford. ive also seen some prefab boxes, i think from kicker, that are made for trucks that can fit there too.

heres mine:

img072.jpg

What kind of subwoofer enclosure could I fit behind the 3rd seat or even on the sides? I'm looking for anything 10+ in size. Thanks

Back