2002 Explorer Oil Pan replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Explorer Oil Pan replacement

southexp

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Explorer XLS
I took my 02 Explorer this weekend for an oil change and they told me that the oil pan was rusting and needed replaced. Before I take this to get an estimate I wanted to check and see how difficult of a job this is and about what price I should expect to pay to replace the pan. Thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it's AWD or 4WD, it's not easy. That oil pan could last for years more.

What engine size?

I took my 02 Explorer this weekend for an oil change and they told me that the oil pan was rusting and needed replaced. Before I take this to get an estimate I wanted to check and see how difficult of a job this is and about what price I should expect to pay to replace the pan. Thanks in advance
I have an 02 Explorer V8. Just got done degreasing the engine to find out where my small oil leak is coming from? Found out it is the oil pan gasket.
Mechanic said it would cost $1000 to replace. He said he has to lift the engine to remove the pan? Is this true?
My concern outside of the exorbitant cost just to replace a gasket is with 186,000 miles on it, it leaks about 1/2 quart every month. It’s only worth $3k in KBB.
Not sure if I should just let it go until it gets worse?
Any opinions on the cost or my decision?

Thank you,
Ken

E1A5AD69-455F-48EF-8154-C5808D6DBF78.jpeg

Forget about the $1000 to replace a gasket...and I believe it's replaced from below...it's still labor intensive

Better idea is to just live with it...it really is a minor problem

Any way to seal or lessen the leak from outside?

Are they talking about the upper or lower oil pan? The lower looks to be a snap particularly in a 2wd model.

Are they talking about the upper or lower oil pan? The lower looks to be a snap particularly in a 2wd model.
It’s the lower oil pan on a 4 wheel drive V8. They said the engine will need to be lifted up to remove the pan? Anyway, I agree with Mountaineer2004. I’ll just continue checking the oil and add when necessary. $1100 can be better spent elsewhere.

Back