• Register Today It's free!

Transmission oil pan replacement

Trellaofaded

Reaction score
City, State
Smyrna
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer
So I went to replace my transmission fluid. I popped the drain plug loose but it kept spinning so I dropped the pan only to see that the inside thread lock nut or whatever it is was spinning. My drain plug would not break loose and I end up rounding off the inside nut that the plug threads through. Is there a online store to find this OEM transmission oil pan that somebody used or where did somebody go to get a replacement since I cannot get this plug out?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I went to replace my transmission fluid. I popped the drain plug loose but it kept spinning so I dropped the pan only to see that the inside thread lock nut or whatever it is was spinning. My drain plug would not break loose and I end up rounding off the inside nut that the plug threads through. Is there a online store to find this OEM transmission oil pan that somebody used or where did somebody go to get a replacement since I cannot get this plug out?
do you have a JY local to you? perhaos you can pick up a pan there, or ive seen some drill them out then rethread oil pans but seems like a good chunk of work imo

do you have a JY local to you? perhaos you can pick up a pan there, or ive seen some drill them out then rethread oil pans but seems like a good chunk of work imo
JY? and yeah i want to save the rethreading because that seem costly. Might have to grab a junkyard transmission oil pan.

New pans are available, I checked one site for you but they are currently out of stock.

JY? and yeah i want to save the rethreading because that seem costly. Might have to grab a junkyard transmission oil pan.
JY is junkyard, so as you mentioned. probably best bet or a used parts site. or maybe new pans like drdroom mentioned.

New pans are available, I checked one site for you but they are currently out of stock.
Yeah I check the legit ford sites but all of them are back ordered. They cost too much for something so simple that it's best to try the junkyard.

Inexpensive and plentiful on e bay

My 02 explorer pan bolt spins and leaks. I just replaced the pan
Yeah I check the legit ford sites but all of them are back ordered. They cost too much for something so simple that it's best to try the junkyard.
My 02 explorer pan rusted through!, I replaced it with a used pan but it is leaking at drain plug bolt to pan. I am now going to remove the pan again and this time weld the inner pan bolt receiving portion to the pan.

forgot to mention, if your large pan plug nut spins, it WILL lek
My 02 explorer pan bolt spins and leaks. I just replaced the pan

My 02 explorer pan rusted through!, I replaced it with a used pan but it is leaking at drain plug bolt to pan. I am now going to remove the pan again and this time weld the inner pan bolt receiving portion to the pan.
forgot to mention, if the large nut spins it WILL leak when you reinstall it.

Back